"Global Warming Quiz"

Personaly I like the 2 days before the day after tommrow lol,
IT's COMMING FROM OVER THERE!!!, NO THERE!!!

South Park exageration at it's best...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9894800#post9894800 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rosseau
The polar ice cap is already displaced in the ocean. Its melting does not change sea level directly.
Greenland's glaciers, however, are not.

The Younger Dryas are an interesting period, indeed :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9907572#post9907572 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snommisbor
Im glad it is warming up some. I prefer the warm weather to cold anyday.

Yeah, lets sit back and enjoy the warm breeze!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9907647#post9907647 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rosseau
Yeah, lets sit back and enjoy the warm breeze!

Get me a Corona a Ashton Cabinet :bum: and catch some rays and listen to all doomsday propaganda and just laugh.

I love how they can accurately predict what the weather is going to be like in 50 to 100 years yet we can't accurately predict the weather tomorrow.

Remember last year we were supposed to have a worse hurricane season then the year before and not one hit the U.S.

Just kick back enjoy life, enjoy your family, and enjoy your fish. This is supposed to be fun :rollface:

Lol I had to google Aston Cabinet to know what you were talking about.

But seriously if thats what you want to do then there is nothing I can do about it. Maybe you might like to move to Tuvalu, I here real estate is getting real cheap there at the moment. You could live like a king and have your own reef.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9916163#post9916163 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snommisbor
Get me a Corona a Ashton Cabinet :bum: and catch some rays and listen to all doomsday propaganda and just laugh.

I love how they can accurately predict what the weather is going to be like in 50 to 100 years yet we can't accurately predict the weather tomorrow.

Remember last year we were supposed to have a worse hurricane season then the year before and not one hit the U.S.

Just kick back enjoy life, enjoy your family, and enjoy your fish. This is supposed to be fun :rollface:

Haha... that was pretty ignorant.

Firstly check this out.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=define:climate&meta=

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=define:weather&meta=

I'm just glad that scientists keep working regardless of people who think like you do.

"Remember last year we were supposed to have a worse hurricane season then the year before and not one hit the U.S."

Did CNN tell you this?

We don't predict climate. We model scenarios.

These models do reasonably well. We are able to test the predictive ability of models by using historical data.

For example... a certain computer model will be run to simulate climate from 1970-1980. We then can look at the actual observed data from that time period and see how our model deviates from it. Then we can sort of gauge how well it can "predict" future climates.

As far as "doomsday propaganda", sure it exists to an extent. However it is not propaganda to profile how we think the climate system will change.

Once we have an idea how it will change it is pretty obvious to see that the net impact on humans will be negative.

Will humans cease to exist? No.

Will all other life be destroyed? No.

Will our economies be damaged for a significant amount of time? Yes.

Will some economies benefit? For sure.

We have built our local and global infrastructure based primarily on the prevailing climate in any specific region. Should the climate change enough, it is fairly obvious to see how our systems would be thrown for a loop. Is that propaganda?

I wonder if the Dominican will still be prime tobacco growing climate?

Maybe we can start smoking only the finest Texan cigars!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9922351#post9922351 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rosseau
Haha... that was pretty ignorant.

Firstly check this out.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=define:climate&meta=

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=define:weather&meta=

I'm just glad that scientists keep working regardless of people who think like you do.

"Remember last year we were supposed to have a worse hurricane season then the year before and not one hit the U.S."

Did CNN tell you this?

Im a Fox News guy myself.

but I believe history told me this

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/tracks/2006atl.gif

Cant argue with that. I will be glad to kick back and smoke a cigar with though :bum:

The point I was trying to make earlier is this. Society needs a unifying idea to rally behind. There need to be clearly defined boundaries of what constitutes a good person and a bad person. This is important so that people can gauge if they are a good person or not. In our modern age, we have outlawed many of the forms this used to take place in because it was outright horrible in the manner in which it was arranged. Outright racism, sexism and bigotry was used to make people feel good about themselves. The same zealot mentality that drives Arabs to commit martyrdom causes people to focus on the enviroment around them and look for what is wrong with it and who can be blamed. End result on a personal level is a feeling of self satisfaction for doing what they felt is a noble act and causing suffering for others who do not share their passion. No matter how noble a cause is, you cannot force it on another person or feel anger that they do not agree with your point of view. These are personal perceptions of how things are, relating to each individual. What rings true for one person could seem silly or pointless to another. There is a reason our society outlawed racism, stoped sexism and punishes bigotry. Those things do hurt others. And there is a reason these things still occur everyday. It makes a person feel better about themself, by forcing their viewpoint on someone else.

I want to say, that I do not harbor any such feelings for others but I see and hear it all the time. And I become just as bad when I dont say anything to stop it.

Global Warming is as real as you want it to be. Ignoring it will not stop things from getting worse, and raging against it will not make it any better. The science behind Global Warming has always been suspect and not fully trusted. There are large ommisions that foster distrust of its integiry. The real danger it points at is the business sector and the horrible methods people use to gather wealth. It lays the blame at individuals who knew little of the damage being done on their behalf. And it is presided over by a disorganized array of individuals and groups that really dont seem any different than the businesses they bemoan. It is based on a premise that there is somehow a way to undo the damage thats been done to our world. Otherwise, why bring it up at all except for to torture us with the knowlege of our own imminent doom?

I dont have an answer, I am just tired of people acting like its my fault.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9926630#post9926630 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by airinhere

Global Warming is as real as you want it to be. Ignoring it will not stop things from getting worse, and raging against it will not make it any better. The science behind Global Warming has always been suspect and not fully trusted. There are large ommisions that foster distrust of its integiry. The real danger it points at is the business sector and the horrible methods people use to gather wealth. It lays the blame at individuals who knew little of the damage being done on their behalf. And it is presided over by a disorganized array of individuals and groups that really dont seem any different than the businesses they bemoan. It is based on a premise that there is somehow a way to undo the damage thats been done to our world. Otherwise, why bring it up at all except for to torture us with the knowlege of our own imminent doom?

Well the first bit of your post is a bit too much to reply to at the moment. Probably another agrument altogether.

Fighting global warming can in fact help it. Ignoring it will make it worse.

The science behind AGW is not suspect. Maybe if you have some issues regarding it you can ask here and someone can attept to help you understand. What large ommisions do you speak of?

The business sector is large and diverse. There are many causing harm and many now trying to reduce their impact on the planet. Personally I believe the business sector is only partly to blame, however they are certainly part of the solution.

I don't quite know what you don't get about the solution. Its easy, reduce carbon emmisions. It is not something that cannot be solved. That is why it needs to be brought up. There is a solution.

I am not having a go at you so please do not take this the wrong way, but I am trying to understand how you have come to your understanding of the issue.

And lastly a bit of a rant, people have to understand, that this is not a case of AGW being a small issue. It is not just about a few species that face extinction. People will die. And not just a few.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9926630#post9926630 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by airinhere

The point I was trying to make earlier is this. Society needs a unifying idea to rally behind

I understand what you are saying. The difficulty here is that in some sense you will always have an impact on the earth provided you are living within it. Though it can be measured quantitatively, it is mostly a subjective measure. This may vary between people, cultures and time. I think a great unifying idea to rally behind is that everything counts.

To me, this "everything counts" state of mind is at the heart of "the American Dream". Many (yes not all) Americans take their right to vote very very seriously. Your vote is one within hundreds of millions - yet you take it seriously. So why then do we not agree that our contributions (negative or positive) to the earth are important or measurable? Well, many people do and are doing something about it, big or small.

I agree that you shouldn't guilt people into doing something. It's hard to say what is good or bad - this obviously is a debate far beyond the scope of this forum (IMO).

The science behind Global Warming has always been suspect and not fully trusted. There are large ommisions that foster distrust of its integiry. The real danger it points at is the business sector and the horrible methods people use to gather wealth. It lays the blame at individuals who knew little of the damage being done on their behalf.

An important thing to remember is that we have known for some time that the green house effect exists. If it wasn't for our atmosphere and the green house effect the earth would have an average temperature in the range of -20C rather than the approx +20C we enjoy today. The science behind the green house effect is quite well understood.

The science behind Global Warming has always been suspect and not fully trusted.

Well, I would say that the science may have been in its infancy a few decades ago yet has come a very very long way. Though all the fine details may not have been nailed out yet, the general idea is very clear and evident. This general idea is more than enough for us to understand what action should be taken if we decide it is worthwhile to do so.

Lets think back to smoking cigarettes....... If our grandmothers or mothers come down with a smoking related disease such as (god forbid) lung cancer, we show sympathy because they truly did not know the dangers of smoking when they started (though it's pretty obvious it can't be good for you, sort of like burning oh so much fossil fuel). Yet, we show much less compassion when a 30 year old comes down with the same disease because they knew when they started that smoking would likely lead to lung cancer.

I think the GW related social issues we are seeing today is very much the same. You say that yourself and others are sick of being blamed for things you did not know were harmful. That's fine, but when will we give up the excuses and put down the proverbial cigarette?

There need to be clearly defined boundaries of what constitutes a good person and a bad person. This is important so that people can gauge if they are a good person or not.

The same zealot mentality that drives Arabs to commit martyrdom causes people to focus on the enviroment around them and look for what is wrong with it and who can be blamed.
How do you clearly define what a good or bad person is? Beside the obvious markers such as killing people, there is an awful lot of gray area. And, pffft, you're trying to compare suicide bombers to environmentalists? Give me a break.
No matter how noble a cause is, you cannot force it on another person or feel anger that they do not agree with your point of view.
Actually, you can. They're called laws.

Global Warming is as real as you want it to be. Ignoring it will not stop things from getting worse, and raging against it will not make it any better.

It is based on a premise that there is somehow a way to undo the damage thats been done to our world. Otherwise, why bring it up at all except for to torture us with the knowlege of our own imminent doom?

Global warming isn't some belief, it's science, so its reality has nothing to do with what any of us want it to be. I don't know what you mean by "raging", but devising solutions for a problem seems like a smart idea.

Also, there are ways to undo damage to the environment, it's done all the time. Don't be so defeatist.

No one is blaming you personally, but I do blame those that speak out against important issues in ignorance. Asking questions is good, being skeptical is fine, even being ignorant is ok most of the time, but trying to persuade others on a subject by lying or through ignorance is a problem. But, many people are ignorant of their own ignorance, so what can we do?

I guess if im going to keep going to ocrakoke nc for vacation im going to have to take up scuba diving. But on the up side my house in Richmond va could be beach front property.

The point I was trying to make earlier is this. Society needs a unifying idea to rally behind. There need to be clearly defined boundaries of what constitutes a good person and a bad person. This is important so that people can gauge if they are a good person or not. In our modern age, we have outlawed many of the forms this used to take place in because it was outright horrible in the manner in which it was arranged. Outright racism, sexism and bigotry was used to make people feel good about themselves. The same zealot mentality that drives Arabs to commit martyrdom causes people to focus on the enviroment around them and look for what is wrong with it and who can be blamed. End result on a personal level is a feeling of self satisfaction for doing what they felt is a noble act and causing suffering for others who do not share their passion. No matter how noble a cause is, you cannot force it on another person or feel anger that they do not agree with your point of view. These are personal perceptions of how things are, relating to each individual. What rings true for one person could seem silly or pointless to another. There is a reason our society outlawed racism, stoped sexism and punishes bigotry. Those things do hurt others. And there is a reason these things still occur everyday. It makes a person feel better about themself, by forcing their viewpoint on someone else.

I want to say, that I do not harbor any such feelings for others but I see and hear it all the time. And I become just as bad when I dont say anything to stop it.

You need to stop feeling sorry for yourself man,and wise up. It's your country that damages this planet most,but its other countrys that will feel the destructive elements of global warming first. Think of them!

With a leader like yours I would hate to be an american at this moment in time. You have a massive thing like GW,and all he can do is say "well I'd rather protect economic growth,and yeah lets send more troops to iraq" what a reatard! and to think he is the most powerfull man on the planet! It's a disgrace.

Our leader isnt much better. But at least hes trying to get you guys on board. But as usual Bush doesnt want to know.

It's a very very sad state of afairs.

While it can be hard to keep the politics out of Global Warming Discussions, the [ua] requires us to keep politics out discussions on Reef Central. Please keep this mind.

That video has been discussed before a couple of times. Some people think that the video is good, other people read. I fall in the reading camp.

Back