Gonipora (sp?) Flow and Food

tcmfish

I just picked up a gonipora, a nice big green specimen, and I was wondering on the flow it needs and what I can feed it. I have a mostly SPS tank and there is a lot of flow and it is hard to find a quiet spot and I was wondering if it can hold up in the strong to moderate current. The position it is in now gets a strong current here and there and then it is quiet for a little bit, I thought this would be best. Also what can I feed it because I have seen people who have had success with it and want to have the same with mine. It is my only LPS so far in the tank otherwise all SPS so hopefully someone will help me out. Thanks.

I keep mine under gental flow and I feed it esv pytoplanktin maybe once a week.Iv had it for about 2 months now.

As long as the polyps are extending, the flow will probably be ok.

You will need to target feed the coral. A stronger flow will make it much more difficult to do that. When you feed you will definitely want to turn off the circulation pumps; otherwise, I doubt you will get enough food to the coral. I've been feeding a mashed mixture of frozen Cyclopeeze, little fine chunks of raw shrimp (or krill or mysis shrimp...etc.), DT's Oyster Eggs, and GP Reef & Larval Diet for nearly two years.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9238475#post9238475 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tcmfish
I am worried that it won't extend the polyps with the flow, will this happen?
:confused: Is it extending them where you currently placed it?

The polyps are out about 2 inches on average. If I remember correctly they were out more before at the store but they didn't have much flow at all in the tank. I also fed it with frozen cyclopeeze and it seemed to take that so hopefully that is a good sign.

I came home from work tonight to find that the polyps were retracted. I figured I had to move it so now it is in a spot with a little more constant weaker current.

There will be times that the coral is retracted in the middle of the day; especially when first purchased. If it extends where you have it now, I would leave it there.

Not to hijack the thread, but maybe this will help tcm also...but I bought a cool looking blue one about 2 weeks ago. The polyps extended for about the first week. now I havent seen them out in about a week. And the majority of the coral is now covered in a light brown coting. I moved it today to a lower light and flow area of the tank... what do ya'all think? gonner??

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9260618#post9260618 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reno Reef
Not to hijack the thread, but maybe this will help tcm also...but I bought a cool looking blue one about 2 weeks ago. The polyps extended for about the first week. now I havent seen them out in about a week. And the majority of the coral is now covered in a light brown coting. I moved it today to a lower light and flow area of the tank... what do ya'all think? gonner??

You know... nevermind... im stupid and cant read... I thought this was talking about gorgonians...

My bad

Back