Good Bye Cruel World

11fishes

Hey everyone(my other family) I am so sad to report to you all that due to the financial burden of not having a job for two months my money is all gone and i am forced to leave this lifestyle i've paid my last noths rent and am forced to quit and take down my beautiful tank..i really don't know what to do. please anyone i need some advice or help, i've been looking like a mad man for a job any job, and to much of my dismay i have not found one yet, nor have i even had an interveiw, sadly i am going to say my last goodbyes to my babies and all the love i have for them. i feel so bad like someone died or being dumped by the one i love. can anyone help???? i don't want to give it up. i really wish i had more time.....:sad1:

That Sorry to hear that. I wish I could help. Just wanted to say good luck and I hope that everything works out.

i am sorry i know how it feels when i had to take down my tanks it was the saddest day in my life but its better takin them down then not being able to take care of them. Its been 2 years and i am just about getting them back up just hang in there get your life in order again. when you are ready you can have it again lol you never really leave this hobby.

Ashley

Hang in there... You can always get back into the hobby. I was in a similar situation a few years ago when things seemed hopeless. I was out of a job and had to give up my tanks. A few months later I was back to work and setting up a bigger and better tank. Don't give up.:)

What do you do for a living.... Post that you are looking for a job on your local reef board... with networking through R/C you may be able to land something .

how old are you? start hitting the bars and find a rich suga mama.................lure her to your pad, get her hooked on the tank then spring it on her........................lol ;)

I'm really sorry to hear that... :( Been there, done that. For what it's worth, I was forced to sell off my 90-Gal. reef and everything it entailed approx. six years ago... I am just now re-surfacing in the hobby, so to speak... there really was no feasible way for me to keep it up and operational... with so much hard work and effort, I know that can be a painstaking decision to have to make.

I wish you the best and hope that everything works out in the end for you. With any luck, you'll land a job soon enough and perhaps you won't be forced to sell anything. :)

as Wazoo said,
There's always the option of passing off your favorite fish and corals to friends for safe-keeping while you get back on your feet.
You should look into that.

It seems you have something in common with alot of us. I to left awhile ago (1 more wife, 3 kids, several moves), but now i,ve finally started back up again. Maybe you could sell your live stock and tank to a LFS for a credit and then use it when you get ready to start again. Good luck either way.

aquadw

I commend you for having your priorities in order. Reefkeeping is a blast, but it sure aint cheap. I don't think I could help you find a job, but I've been taking classes in the last few months for financing and I've been blessed with what my wife and I have learned and what we've done to change our way of life and the life of my daughter.
A few basic tips, these are no-brainers, but when under the stress your seeing, it helps to see it in black and white.

Worry about "four walls", food, utilities, transportation, and clothes. In that order, everything else can wait. No cell phone, no cable, no internet, only the things that matter.

The dreaded "B" word. Get a budget going so that you know how much is going in and how much is going out. Tell your money what to do and don't let it tell you. Make that penny scream.

Once you get a job going, begin to save at least $1,000 in an emergency fund.

After the emergency fund is done, go to knocking out debt so more money can be used for other things (don't go back to debt ever again).

After debt free (except a mortgage), go back to the emergency fund and raise it to 3-6 months of expenses so if you happen to lose a job, you have something to fall back on. Keep this in a liquid asset such as a money market account.

Once that's done, start investing for retirement about 15% of your income into IRA's and such.

If you have kids, start on their college next.

Then pay off your house early.

Then continue to invest, have fun, and be a wealthy person.

Sounds easy huh? It's not easy, but the idea for me being debt free is so exciting that I'd rather go out without a lot of things so that I can change my family tree. I'm selling a crock pot here, not a microwave.

Hope things go well for you and I hope you can get back into the hobby down the road. If you'd like more information see
this website. The guy is good and I would recommend any of his books or classes. Be warned, he tells it like it is.

Sorry to hear this too, I expect this is a problem when being in this hobby at a younger age.
However, the one thing you're not losing is your experience so that when you're ready to start again you'll be way ahead of the game and probably have a more ideal setup than you have now.
Still it's gotta be painful :(

Don't you have a liver or something that you can sell to keep it all going?? I mean, as much as I drink I would pay good money and that could keep the tank up and running for years.

Joel

Given the situation that you're in, this may not be the most prudent choice but why don't you try and see if you can donate your tank to a non-profit/public interest organization? Maybe to an office, or even places like museums and art galleries are always on the prowl for public attractions. This way not only will your tank survive and might be better off but you can also go visit your babies whenever you can in the future.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6964925#post6964925 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by enforcer8621
I commend you for having your priorities in order. Reefkeeping is a blast, but it sure aint cheap. I don't think I could help you find a job, but I've been taking classes in the last few months for financing and I've been blessed with what my wife and I have learned and what we've done to change our way of life and the life of my daughter.
A few basic tips, these are no-brainers, but when under the stress your seeing, it helps to see it in black and white.

Worry about "four walls", food, utilities, transportation, and clothes. In that order, everything else can wait. No cell phone, no cable, no internet, only the things that matter.

The dreaded "B" word. Get a budget going so that you know how much is going in and how much is going out. Tell your money what to do and don't let it tell you. Make that penny scream.

Once you get a job going, begin to save at least $1,000 in an emergency fund.

After the emergency fund is done, go to knocking out debt so more money can be used for other things (don't go back to debt ever again).

After debt free (except a mortgage), go back to the emergency fund and raise it to 3-6 months of expenses so if you happen to lose a job, you have something to fall back on. Keep this in a liquid asset such as a money market account.

Once that's done, start investing for retirement about 15% of your income into IRA's and such.

If you have kids, start on their college next.

Then pay off your house early.

Then continue to invest, have fun, and be a wealthy person.

Sounds easy huh? It's not easy, but the idea for me being debt free is so exciting that I'd rather go out without a lot of things so that I can change my family tree. I'm selling a crock pot here, not a microwave.

Hope things go well for you and I hope you can get back into the hobby down the road. If you'd like more information see
this website. The guy is good and I would recommend any of his books or classes. Be warned, he tells it like it is.

Thats some very good advice!

I like the idea of selling what you have to an established LFS for a credit so that when you start back up you will have that credit to get going.

As far as a job goes I would recommend contacting some local painting companies, they are always looking for help, concrete companies that pour concrete are always looking for laborors(hard job).

Back