Good nano fish?

ashtree68

This summer's project is going to be designing, and making a smaller nano system to be incorporated/added to one of my larger systems. The idea right now is a 13x13x13 cube (about 8 gallons), drilled and draining down into the sump of my 90/24 system.

What are some some interesting fish that I could keep? I have a YWG/pistol pair already, so looking for something else. I thought about harlequin shrimp but decided against doing a pair of them. Any other interesting species only fish that would work?

This summer's project is going to be designing, and making a smaller nano system to be incorporated/added to one of my larger systems. The idea right now is a 13x13x13 cube (about 8 gallons), drilled and draining down into the sump of my 90/24 system.

What are some some interesting fish that I could keep? I have a YWG/pistol pair already, so looking for something else. I thought about harlequin shrimp but decided against doing a pair of them. Any other interesting species only fish that would work?

i have always wanted a clown goby. a green one if i could find one but i would be happy with a yellow one!

i have never owned what would be concidered a nano.

I wouldn't add a damsel in an 8 gallon tank unless it was the only fish in there and one that stays small. I realize you'll have the tank plumbed into a larger tank, but you have to consider territory in that small of a living area.

Most nano suggestions are gobies, but if you're already going to have one in there, I'd skip having another unless they were a mated pair or stay very small like the red-headed gobies.

Here's some good nano fish, but they're mostly gobies.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+2124

You could keep a Caracanthus sp. (velvetfish/gumdrop goby/coral croucher) or a yellow-spotted scorp (Sebastapistes cyanostigma).

Caracanthus madagascarensis feeding

yellowspot700.jpg

I'm wanting to go with someone that will be decently active. I have enough tanks of fish just sitting and hanging out.

Also decided to increase the tank volume to 20-25 gallons

I think a clown goby is different enough from a watchman to not be a problem. You could also get a cardinal or 2. A mandarin might be possible, if enough copepods are being brought through the small tank.

Also, if you're willing to give up the watchman and pistol being in it you could also get a mantis shrimp.

Right now the tank does not exist, and nothing is in it. I have a YWG and pistol in another tank. I may have a LR section in the back if I can find a nice piece of dark glass to hide it so I can have a huge place to have pods growing. I do like the idea of a pair of mandarins.

I might do a pair of firefish gobies, only problem is then my now planed rimless tank will need a cover.

If I would get another piece of glass and put it on top, but still removable so it looks completely sealed would I have enough gas exchange with the sump to be okay?

i have always wanted a clown goby. a green one if i could find one but i would be happy with a yellow one!

i have never owned what would be concidered a nano.

I miss my citron clown. He was the most personality filled fish I had. Moved him into a 10g from my 90g after the eel ate my watchman goby. I think the stress and small tank did him in. Stopped eating got ick and died. Really awesome fish for the 6 months i had him. Constantly just perched in the open staring at you. Often he'd sit on the nori rock all day and eat seaweed even when the tang was trying to get a piece. It would just sit on there eating as the tang was tearing off a piece.

I miss my citron clown. He was the most personality filled fish I had. Moved him into a 10g from my 90g after the eel ate my watchman goby. I think the stress and small tank did him in. Stopped eating got ick and died. Really awesome fish for the 6 months i had him. Constantly just perched in the open staring at you. Often he'd sit on the nori rock all day and eat seaweed even when the tang was trying to get a piece. It would just sit on there eating as the tang was tearing off a piece.

sounds like a cool fish. if,and, or when i do a nano i definatly whant one. i was at the LFS and saw a black one that was BA

Mandarins won't do well in a 14 gallon or less tank, they simply move around too much grazing all day and they get larger than most people realize (they usually don't live long enough in small tanks for people to realize it). Even with a sump they won't have enough room. On top of that, feeding will be a big issue. They graze constantly on copepods all day, which means you'd have to supplement often with either more pods or train them on other foods and make it available many times a day.

Back