Good Skimmer For Reefer 250

.jason

I feel trapped by the ~$225 skimmers and feel like for a few bucks more I would get a better unit. Trouble is the Reefer 250 really isn't that large of a setup even with the included sump so I don't think it really justifies the more expensive units.

FWIW it will be LPS and softies and down the road move into some SPS, medium bio-load.

So I feel like I should stick with one if the following. Talk me into one or make a suggestion... I'm all ears.

Simplicity 120 for $200
BM Curve 5 for $200
Reef Octo NWB 110SSS for $230

Thanks.

Thanks, Ben. I know everybody hates "which skimmer" type of posts so I thank you for the feedback. I was hoping for a bit more though!

The Curve 5 was what I was aiming at but then I saw the Simplicity had a DC pump, got me thinking. Probably should stick to the BM though.

Thanks.

It all depends on he total water volume of your set up. A DC skimmer can be an over kill in certain situations even though it's controllable and it cost more.

I have a Nyos Quantum 120 on my project plan for my reefer 250. The reviews on how silent it is is what sold me on it; the aquarium will be about six feet away from the master bedroom door and I need to keep the misses happy.

I will be running Nyos 120 in my Reefer 250 also.. I had a Vertex Omega 130, but, as mentioned the sump is small...

I have a Nyos Quantum 120 on my project plan for my reefer 250. The reviews on how silent it is is what sold me on it; the aquarium will be about six feet away from the master bedroom door and I need to keep the misses happy.

I will be running Nyos 120 in my Reefer 250 also.. I had a Vertex Omega 130, but, as mentioned the sump is small...

Do I read that correct, you guys don't have the NYOS 120's in service? I think they look nice, but they're rated at twice the size of a Reefer 250 and cost twice the price of the skimmers I was looking at.

Do you believe it's twice as good to command the price? Is a 500L skimmer necessary on a 250L tank? Not being critical but it's a big leap.

Im debating on a skimmer for my reefer 250 as well. It's hard to find a good skimmer for a 8" depth. The Nyos 120 looks pretty sweet but I can't find much info about it. The Vertex Omega 150 seems to be more reliable than the 130. Lastly would be the Bubble Magus Curve 5. What's everyone else running?

Have the Simplicity 120 and its been great. Solid built and have had zero issues. Would definitely purchase their skimmer line again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Do I read that correct, you guys don't have the NYOS 120's in service? I think they look nice, but they're rated at twice the size of a Reefer 250 and cost twice the price of the skimmers I was looking at.

Do you believe it's twice as good to command the price? Is a 500L skimmer necessary on a 250L tank? Not being critical but it's a big leap.

When I was deciding on tanks and components I saw others in the forum, instagram and youtube running the Nyos 120 and I liked their results and more importantly I liked the reviews on how quiet the skimmer is as volume is very important to this build. More recently I saw a Reefer 250 in the SPS forums that is using a Nyos 160. He's had it up for a couple months now and somebody asked him what his thoughts were. I might be changing my project plan to the 160 based on his feedback.

To your question on value, that's up to you.

I just purchased a reefer 250. The problem of buying a large skimmer, is that you may not have ample room in the given sump area to remove your filter socks. If the skimmer is too large, you will have to remove your skimmer every time you change your filter socks. Remember the filter sock holders are sliders.

To Uplift's point, the feedback on the 160 is that it's too large for the aquarium. Not necessarily by size but by performance, the gentleman is only running it for 12 hours out of the day and then he shuts it off for the other 12 hours. He has a controller for that.

I went with the reef octopus 150SSS, I'm still in the building phases so I can't tell you how it performs. But the reviews say that it's a solid skimmer.

Burton My point is really not in promance, but the actual footprint. Hobbyists should consider this as well. Removing and replacing the filter sox will be less of a hassle. There is limited space in the skimmer chamber.

If you are considering the BM Curve 5 I would also consider the Jabao D300. I replaced my Curve 5 with the D700 when I went to a bigger tank and the new skimmer is MUCH easier to adjust and keep consistent.

i run a nyos 120 in my simple sump, i used to use a tunze 9410 and bought it because its an excellent skimmer, however as quiet as it is (the tunze) i have since switched to the nyos as it is really the quietest skimmer i have ever owned. btw the footprint is smaller as well, if you want silence you have to pay for it. good luck zsu

Back