Got ca & alk up...now coraline has faded...

Physh1

Premium Member
I started getting some clams back into my system so I began getting more serious about my ca & alk levels. They used to be 7dkh and my ca was always around 360.

Since I introduced some clams I've bumped my levels to 10-11dkh and 400-420 ca...since then my coraline has started fading. I'm unsure why.

My magnesium has been and is always floating between 1200-1250. Salinity is 1.023...temp is 77. Both n03 and po4 are undetectable.

Any ideas?

It may be the higher Alk. but Im not sure. I'm having the same problem with not much coraline alge growing anymore and the only thing I can think of is my alk. went up from 10 to 11.5. since I removed this large claim. May calc. is also stays around 450 ppm and was around 420 ppm with this wounderful clam in my tank.

I also have a lot of intense light so I don't think they like that either.

The alkalinity is a bit low, but I don't think that's the trouble. The clam might be outcompeting the coralline for nutrients, or the general nutrient level might have changes for other reasons. My coralline fades when I add macroalgae to a system, or cut back on the feeding. Has the lighting changed?

I don't think the low alk is it...it's been lower and the purple was astounding. I've always run my salinity lower...all the LFS's in the area keep theirs around there. Lighting hasn't changed...everything happened as soon as I started dosing more regularly.

Sorry, the alkalinity is fine. I mistyped. I meant the salinity was a bit low, but that's not likely a problem for coralline. Sigh!

Any other ideas? I always track my tank progress and test results on a calender...there is a direct relationship between my coraline fading and my effort to raise my ca & alk levels.

Corals are totally unaffected and my clams were introduced before and after my dosing increase with no immediate change/no affect on coraline.

Back