Got my Triton Results in

toddmau5

Some things were a bit shocking. The one thing I was super worried about (phosphates) was actually almost perfect.
QYAerTd.png

Do you mind sharing more about your tank?
Salt mix, dosing or reactor, media and or supplements?
What test kits do you use at home and what numbers did you get when you tested around the same time as the triton sample.

This is pretty cool just wonder how worth it the test is. Do you plan to change anything because of this test?

This is very cool. Thanks for sharing. I may have missed something, but I don't see where they tested Chloramine or Chlorine. I thought they were going to test that too. Unless I missed it.

I'm curious to see if they find it in your tank.

Some things were a bit shocking. The one thing I was super worried about (phosphates) was actually almost perfect.

The only problem I might see is the Copper. Lithium is red - but everyone has lithium from these salt mixes. Manganese is surprisingly low.

Remember too - the "Red" is out of scope per the Triton Method and using triton's materials - so they may have lower lithium / Sulfurs than the other salt mixes like red sea or Instant Ocean. While it appears as an issue - it really isn't.

The copper is 5 PPB - which is butting up against the LOD of the machine (which means it may or may not be a false positive). Also - 5 PPB may be below the toxicity in our tank: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2104096
From scientific research it can vary from 10 ppb - 100 ppb.

This is very cool. Thanks for sharing. I may have missed something, but I don't see where they tested Chloramine or Chlorine. I thought they were going to test that too. Unless I missed it.
I think Chlorine is hard to test in ICP - it has too many interferences (including the gas they use to help ionize the sample - Argon) and it's going to be off the charts (as it's part of saltwater)

http://www.*********.com/blog/my-triton-testing-results-by-randy-holmes-farley/

From RHF (if that link were to be blocked:
These are basically the high concentration ions of seawater, although they do not give data for chlorine/chloride and the sulfate (SO4–) data is presented as just the sulfur part of the sulfate ion.

A final note: use these results with caution. Making major changes to try to eradicate these extra items (or increase depleted items) may cause more harm to your tank than good. keeping it simple with water changes, good filtering and good make-up water and salt mixes has always been good husbandry.

The only problem I might see is the Copper. Lithium is red - but everyone has lithium from these salt mixes. Manganese is surprisingly low.

Remember too - the "Red" is out of scope per the Triton Method and using triton's materials - so they may have lower lithium / Sulfurs than the other salt mixes like red sea or Instant Ocean. While it appears as an issue - it really isn't.

The copper is 5 PPB - which is butting up against the LOD of the machine (which means it may or may not be a false positive). Also - 5 PPB may be below the toxicity in our tank: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2104096

I think Chlorine is hard to test in ICP - it has too many interferences (including the gas they use to help ionize the sample - Argon) and it's going to be off the charts (as it's part of saltwater)

http://www.*********.com/blog/my-triton-testing-results-by-randy-holmes-farley/

From RHF (if that link were to be blocked:

A final note: use these results with caution. Making major changes to try to eradicate these extra items (or increase depleted items) may cause more harm to your tank than good. keeping it simple with water changes, good filtering and good make-up water and salt mixes has always been good husbandry.

Excellent points TedC. The Cu value is very low. It is very close to the amount that can be detected, dependent upon Triton's methodology.

While halogens (Chlorine, Bromine Iodine, etc) can be tested via ICP, this is not the most sensitive method for Cl2 and requires the use of a specialized CaF2 photomultiplier tube to allow the detection of spectra of less than 200nm. Even then, detection limits are typically around 0.3ppm (for Cl2). Not the uber low levels that reefers might be concerned with. Also, understand that in order to test for chlorine/chloramine, the best methods are used on site. That is, chlorine does not stick around long (chloramines certainly longer, but they too "morph" over time). These substances are reduced quite quickly. This is why they are used as disinfectants. That is why in compliance monitoring the samples are specified to be analyzed STAT. On site if possible, but certainly within a matter of hours as a worst case scenario.

Yes, the articles and posts by Randy are of great benefit as well. One of the few gentlemen on the boards that I read with interest. As always, if you can't test (accurately and consistently) for anything, you just shouldn't try to adjust it.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Do you mind sharing more about your tank?
Salt mix, dosing or reactor, media and or supplements?
What test kits do you use at home and what numbers did you get when you tested around the same time as the triton sample.

This is pretty cool just wonder how worth it the test is. Do you plan to change anything because of this test?

265G tank with a 30g sump and 40g breeder fuge.
Eshopps s300 skimmer, Reactor running Captive Phos FE.
Instant ocean, currently dosing Kalkwasser as ATO, have a full calcium reactor set up I need to finish but debating running the triton methoid.
No suppliments other then that. My water change schedule is pretty atrocious according to aquatic log its only 11% every 28days.. I know. shame on me, spare me the lectures..
I had tested everything right before, because I wanted to compare my readings to the sample, but for the life of me I can not figure out where I wrote down the measurements or placed my sample. I test ALk and Calcium daily and can tell you those numbers are pretty damn close to what my hannag checkers were pulling. Aside from Hannah calcium and Alk I use red sea for magnesium, iodine, potassium and iron. Salifert test kit for nitrates and phosphates. I will try to be more diligent about comparing my test results to the next triton test i send in

interesting point on the lithium. my sulphur was pretty high but apparently that is also very common in salt mixes.

I can see your point. I was under the impression that the test parameters were comparing to natural salt water, which in turn is what the triton method is based off of. So its interesting to see how the tank water actually stacks up to mother nature. As far as the copper goes, I was considering running the detox through the tank just to clear up any copper that may or may not be there as well.

Back