Proper Iodine dosing

Brieninsac

I recently did a Triton test on my fish-only aquarium. The only thing a little low that requires attention is Iodine.

I ordered some Fluval Sea Iodine and need some help translating my test results and figuring out how long I need to dose Iodine. I already know I need to add about 4ml per week.

Here are some screen shots of my test results and the instructions on the back of the Iodine bottle.

Screen Shot 2023-12-01 at 12.09.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-01 at 12.11.47 PM.png

I recently did a Triton test on my fish-only aquarium. The only thing a little low that requires attention is Iodine.

I ordered some Fluval Sea Iodine and need some help translating my test results and figuring out how long I need to dose Iodine. I already know I need to add about 4ml per week.

Here are some screen shots of my test results and the instructions on the back of the Iodine bottle.

View attachment 32393329

View attachment 32393330
I'm a random iodine guy (couple drops a week in 70 gallons but sometime I don't lol) as I find it very difficult to measure. Having said that mine was high (about triple) in my last ICP.

Here's a quote from Andre Mueller (Moonshiners method):

"How to handle Iodine?

Iodine is very crucial and important but also very complex to dose.

The easiest way, I personally do use Seachem Potassium Iodide (Seachem Reef Iodide), and dose 1-2 drops of it daily for each 100G system volume. I use Glass dropper bottles, from Amazon for a precise daily dose. Weekly dosages always ended up in overdosing and bleaching, hence I strictly do start with 1 drop per 100G and see what the ICP indicates. If lower than 0.06 mg/L, I simply put one more drop per day into the daily routine. Make sure you start dosing at least a week before the sample to the ICP lab goes out, since Potassium Iodide need some time to show up as Iodine on the test. Not sure if you know this, but Iodide converts to Iodine after a while and not instantly! Water changes will also bring in some Iodide, so keep a steady water change routine and start with less drops and wait for the ICP.

Iodine management seems to be difficult but as soon the daily routine is performed and the ICP shows your Iodine where we want it, it is a worry free parameter usually. In case you detect Iodine in good levels at your initial ICP, then leave it alone, you may have good supplementation via your water changes."

First off not a chemist I leave that stuff up to Randy and Boomer.

I dose a couple drops of Seachem iodine every day I think of it. I miss a few days here and there.
I prefer smaller little doses than a bunch all at once.
Also Iodine does not last very long in saltwater from my understanding.

Back