Green bubble algae

snake1

Premium Member
It's been many years since I had to mess with the stuff and it's starting to come to life in my system is there anything that's a good remedy for removal I know the emrald crab is supposed to eat it but I'm on the fence with them as many are it's a 50/50 some like some do not ...I know the old way was physical removal but in some cases it's not possible unless I want to redo my entire setup. Looking foward to hearing the possibilities thanks.

My foxface (plain yellow one with no black spot) loves bubble algae. Also ive had good luck with emeralds. Manual removal with hard air line tubing works really well too. People say not to break the bubbles but i never worried about that cause the emeralds always pop them when they eat them. Id say manual removal, mainly the larger bubbles and the easy to access ones and some emeralds would do the trick. Ive head stories with sail fins eating bubble algae too. But fish and what algae they eat is personal to each fish, same goes for the crabs. Ive had emeralds that didnt touch the stuff and others that devoured it

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Yeah it's really starting to grow I'm my garage 30 gallon tank to small for a Fox face that's kinda why I'm about to break it down and I might have to sell my fish inside the tank . I need to think it over first I have a emerald in there and he's not doing much but flexing every time I look In the tank

Lol is your garage tank linked to your main tank? If so im sure bubble algae will make its way to the main display but with your foxface and other herbivore fish you have, they might be eating it/will eat it. Bubble is some nasty suff. But honestly id rather have bubble algae than GHA.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

I get bubble algae in my tank almost every 6 months, but I get an emerald crab and he destroys them in no time. Just make sure it had both it's claws. FAIOS in Oldsmar and The Aquarium and Fish Store in Brandon normally have them in stock.

I get bubble algae in my tank almost every 6 months, but I get an emerald crab and he destroys them in no time. Just make sure it had both it's claws. FAIOS in Oldsmar and The Aquarium and Fish Store in Brandon normally have them in stock.

Thanks Manny

Using herbivores as the sole method of controlling an algae problem is akin to "an old lady who swallowed the spider to catch the fly". "don't ask me why", hobbyists insist on not addressing the underlying nutrient(s) issue that affords algae the energy needed to grow and reproduce. Before asserting "well according to _______ test kit my _______ is ppm!", think about the statement rationally. Every living thing, even primary producers like algae, need some external source of nutrients in order to conduct cellular functions and add biomass/grow. If compatible inorganic or organic nutrients are limited, then so too the life dependent on said nutrients. Test kits and arbitrary recommended parameters for marine aquariums be damned, if alga is growing then there are enough nutrients within the system to support it. By extension, if you have an algae problem then there is also a nutrient problem and its presence is the definitive “test”. FYI, green alga loves Nitrogen, the simpler the better i.e. ammonia preferred over nitrite or nitrate. Increase your tank’s ability to export Nitrogen and life which is limited by this nutrient will be curtailed as well. Critters never address the underlying issue and can potentially make issues worse be their “messy” eating, reproduction of alga via fragmentation, and adding their own bio-mass to an already out of balance system. No critter is 100% efficient in utilizing consumed nutrients. Only a small amount of the potential energy available is used for cellular functions, growth and reproduction, the rest exits as “waste” is some form or another. “waste” is nutrients, inorganic or organic energy, and become available for something to use which starts the process all over again. No energy, i.e. nutrients, are ever lost. Energy is temporarily stored in one form or another but never lost – unless maybe a singularity is involved. So all the nutrients/energy we put into our tanks stays in our tanks until in some way removed by us.

With the obsessively frugal nature which abounds within the hobby, I’m amused by the tenacity of which “critters for algae issues” is clung to and almost preached. It is perpetuated by a mostly ethically bankrupt industry, yep I’m a part of said industry, and a hobby in which most want a “pretty” tank but aren’t really willing to put forth the effort to achieve the desired result. You’d think routinely spending money on a flawed concept would be dismissed or at least sparsely accepted by now. Then again there is that whole “peppermint” shrimp sham…. Nevermind, buy some more Emeralds for that bubble algae. ;)

hobbyists insist on not addressing the underlying nutrient(s) issue that affords algae the energy needed to grow and reproduce. Before asserting "well according to _______ test kit my _______ is ppm!", think about the statement rationally. Every living thing, even primary producers like algae, need some external source of nutrients in order to conduct cellular functions and add biomass/grow. If compatible inorganic or organic nutrients are limited, then so too the life dependent on said nutrients. Test kits and arbitrary recommended parameters for marine aquariums be damned, if alga is growing then there are enough nutrients within the system to support it. By extension, if you have an algae problem then there is also a nutrient problem and its presence is the definitive "œtest". FYI, green alga loves Nitrogen, the simpler the better i.e. ammonia preferred over nitrite or nitrate. Increase your tank's ability to export Nitrogen and life which is limited by this nutrient will be curtailed as well.

Very true except for bryopsis. It grows using pure evil as a fuel.

Using herbivores as the sole method of controlling an algae problem is akin to "an old lady who swallowed the spider to catch the fly". "don't ask me why", hobbyists insist on not addressing the underlying nutrient(s) issue that affords algae the energy needed to grow and reproduce. Before asserting "well according to _______ test kit my _______ is ppm!", think about the statement rationally. Every living thing, even primary producers like algae, need some external source of nutrients in order to conduct cellular functions and add biomass/grow. If compatible inorganic or organic nutrients are limited, then so too the life dependent on said nutrients. Test kits and arbitrary recommended parameters for marine aquariums be damned, if alga is growing then there are enough nutrients within the system to support it. By extension, if you have an algae problem then there is also a nutrient problem and its presence is the definitive "œtest". FYI, green alga loves Nitrogen, the simpler the better i.e. ammonia preferred over nitrite or nitrate. Increase your tank's ability to export Nitrogen and life which is limited by this nutrient will be curtailed as well. Critters never address the underlying issue and can potentially make issues worse be their "œmessy" eating, reproduction of alga via fragmentation, and adding their own bio-mass to an already out of balance system. No critter is 100% efficient in utilizing consumed nutrients. Only a small amount of the potential energy available is used for cellular functions, growth and reproduction, the rest exits as "œwaste" is some form or another. "œwaste" is nutrients, inorganic or organic energy, and become available for something to use which starts the process all over again. No energy, i.e. nutrients, are ever lost. Energy is temporarily stored in one form or another but never lost "“ unless maybe a singularity is involved. So all the nutrients/energy we put into our tanks stays in our tanks until in some way removed by us.

With the obsessively frugal nature which abounds within the hobby, I'm amused by the tenacity of which "œcritters for algae issues" is clung to and almost preached. It is perpetuated by a mostly ethically bankrupt industry, yep I'm a part of said industry, and a hobby in which most want a "œpretty" tank but aren't really willing to put forth the effort to achieve the desired result. You'd think routinely spending money on a flawed concept would be dismissed or at least sparsely accepted by now. Then again there is that whole "œpeppermint" shrimp sham"¦. Nevermind, buy some more Emeralds for that bubble algae. ;)
Thanks John

Using herbivores as the sole method of controlling an algae problem is akin to "an old lady who swallowed the spider to catch the fly". "don't ask me why", hobbyists insist on not addressing the underlying nutrient(s) issue that affords algae the energy needed to grow and reproduce. Before asserting "well according to _______ test kit my _______ is ppm!", think about the statement rationally. Every living thing, even primary producers like algae, need some external source of nutrients in order to conduct cellular functions and add biomass/grow. If compatible inorganic or organic nutrients are limited, then so too the life dependent on said nutrients. Test kits and arbitrary recommended parameters for marine aquariums be damned, if alga is growing then there are enough nutrients within the system to support it. By extension, if you have an algae problem then there is also a nutrient problem and its presence is the definitive “test”. FYI, green alga loves Nitrogen, the simpler the better i.e. ammonia preferred over nitrite or nitrate. Increase your tank’s ability to export Nitrogen and life which is limited by this nutrient will be curtailed as well. Critters never address the underlying issue and can potentially make issues worse be their “messy” eating, reproduction of alga via fragmentation, and adding their own bio-mass to an already out of balance system. No critter is 100% efficient in utilizing consumed nutrients. Only a small amount of the potential energy available is used for cellular functions, growth and reproduction, the rest exits as “waste” is some form or another. “waste” is nutrients, inorganic or organic energy, and become available for something to use which starts the process all over again. No energy, i.e. nutrients, are ever lost. Energy is temporarily stored in one form or another but never lost – unless maybe a singularity is involved. So all the nutrients/energy we put into our tanks stays in our tanks until in some way removed by us.

With the obsessively frugal nature which abounds within the hobby, I’m amused by the tenacity of which “critters for algae issues” is clung to and almost preached. It is perpetuated by a mostly ethically bankrupt industry, yep I’m a part of said industry, and a hobby in which most want a “pretty” tank but aren’t really willing to put forth the effort to achieve the desired result. You’d think routinely spending money on a flawed concept would be dismissed or at least sparsely accepted by now. Then again there is that whole “peppermint” shrimp sham…. Nevermind, buy some more Emeralds for that bubble algae. ;)

I'd like to start by saying thank you John and everything that you've done for the community over the years. You are always there for us when the internet is not . You are a true inspiration to all of us. However, I have to respectfully disagree on this topic. From my experience, a certain level of nutrients in the water column will promote better coloration in the beautiful corals that we try to keep. stripping the water of all nutrients will make our corals look pale ( much like the sps frags in your shop). This is why we need to keep Reef cleaners/cleanup crews in our systems to keep some of the nuisance algae at Bay. It's a constant Balancing Act that we are trying to walk.

Now that I think about it, I'm a little disgusted with your high-and-mighty tone in your previous post.

Flomotion, no reason to attack to talk trash to someone offering value to this discussion
If you wanna talk trash you are more than welcome to fb message him and do it off the forum.

Flomotion, no reason to attack to talk trash to someone offering value to this discussion
If you wanna talk trash you are more than welcome to fb message him and do it off the forum.

Not talking trash, I love and freaquent FAOIS. Just offering my observations and opinion.

Slippery slope. I had a very similar situation. Added a big refuge. Now all algae grows in there. Hair ,cheato ,mangrove. Out of control. Nothing in display tank.

Slippery slope. I had a very similar situation. Added a big refuge. Now all algae grows in there. Hair ,cheato ,mangrove. Out of control. Nothing in display tank.
I changed my sump from a 40 breeder with a fuge to a 75 gallon with a fuge, it's been about 3 months since so I figured any kinda new tank syndrome was not on the list the fuge stayed the same and I didn't use any of the old sand I installed all new sand and mud and my cheato is growing like crazy again.....I do change my socks daily and my skimmer pulls out a lot it's an 8" cup and it's full every three days .I do weekly water changes ..when my tank was in it's prime and corals where growing to fast to handle is when I only Fed my fish every other day now that I feed every day I have red slime starting and the bubble algae starting. I'm on board with the comment of to many nutrients ,as evil as it sounds I'm gonna go back to feeding every other day even know the fish police will get ****ed , to help reduce the nutrients in the water column .

Sorry Flo that you get crapped on for speaking the truth as you see it.
Tag, you are now the bad guy lol.
That was talking trash? Yes I am really laughing out loud.

Back