Green Slimer's ... anyone?

Green-Slimer.jpg

Slimer-15K.jpg

Slimer-6-1-06.jpg

Slimer-1.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8114011#post8114011 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Snausages01

Slimer-1.jpg

Will they just randomly slime up like this or is it only if you have been touching it?

Mine's never been that annoyed---;) not even when it fell into the wall. It fell off its plug and I reputtied it, and mauled it all over and it never got that mad. That's amazing!

Mine slimes a lot, sometimes after a w/c but similar to above if I remove it from water for 5-15 minutes. [fragging, major tank maintenance recently as mine is larger than a salt bucket, taller than any of the shallow tubs I have ... yet removable :)]

In nature, I'd think the slime would be helpful dealing with low-tide/exposure. Though I'd also think slime to be a productive place for the coral to grow bacteria, and when in a web a sticky mass to catch small reef food.
Mine also exhibits sliming on use of a couple kinds of foods [particulate foods mainly] a few times also accompanied by messenteries [white thread-like strands coming out of each polyp, maybe 1/2-1"]. Not always but often accompanied by slime-webs - not as extensive as after exposure, but significant.

Seems to me that the coral sliming relates to a couple different behavior - and could be a good meal, or could related to stress, or probably could be a few other things too.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8115357#post8115357 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kurt03
Will they just randomly slime up like this or is it only if you have been touching it?

Kurt they only slime if they are touched or annoyed. Its really no different then any other coral. I have a slimer and it "slimes" less then some of my other corals have. Also, if it slimes, make sure you can either vacuum it up or make sure it doesnt touch other corals. This is a defense mechanism and it will sting other corals.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8115525#post8115525 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BRISK495
Kurt they only slime if they are touched or annoyed. Its really no different then any other coral. I have a slimer and it "slimes" less then some of my other corals have. Also, if it slimes, make sure you can either vacuum it up or make sure it doesnt touch other corals. This is a defense mechanism and it will sting other corals.

Ahh thanks, that would have been my next question :)

Yep, if it puts it out in the course of feeding/etc - IME it seems to suck it mostly back onto itself.

But when annoyed, after a big w/c, moved, exposed to air - then I normally suck that stuff up + remove from tank. I figure it's just another form of nutrient removal at worst.

I have another coral that I would say slimes more when annoyed, too..

But I find with the slimer that even casual contact with my hand often leaves a slimy reside - that I always wash right off as it would most likely hassle another coral if rubbed on - nevermind I try to avoid getting coral slime/bacteria anywhere outside the tank or near any cut/etc on my person [or the beer I often drink when working on the tank ;)].

If the coral puts it out on it's own, and it's not too excessive - I leave it, as IMO it might provide it a nutrituous meal [freshly grown bacteria, particulate ... yum yum!]

I heard about there reputation but that is just plain insane!!

Slimer-1.jpg

Almost looks like attack of the vermetid snails! That seems like a very very hard thing to clean up. And the chances of slime hitting other sps with flow and such would seem to great to be abe to avoid. My green digi slimes up something fierce, but is only 1/10 of the magnitude of that! Anyone have some corals that these guys wiped out due to there slime?
I got a half inch frag from a raffle a few weeks ago when I get a chance I'll post it and maybe you guys can help me see if its a slimer or not,looks very similar to my untrained eye. Thanks for sharing the awesome pics everyone

-Justin

Did you take that coral out of the water or is it spawning or something (pretty sure it isn't but just checking)?

The picture shows about half of what the slime web really looked like; it was to the top of the tank. The slime from the slimer doesn't really bother any of the other corals whether or not it’s blown on them from the flow or wiped on them from my hands.

It was pulled out for fragging.

I have a small frag that has one of the branches bleaching out and spreading. Should I break off that branch below the bad point?
Thanks
Jeff

Back