Groups of Flame Angels?

Nanook

Ancient Eskimo Legend
Staff member
RC Mod
Can Flame Angels be kept in groups? Do they get along if kept this way?

There is someone on here who keeps a trio of Flame angels. He can probably give you better insight on this. I will try to find the person and let you know.

I've read a few threads on here. I am thinking about getting 5 if I can find them from a reputable supplier.

Yep, that is what happened. I have a 470 gallon cube tank with 500 pounds of liverock, so that might help with distributing the territoriality?

In a tank that size with a lot of hiding places, I don't see a problem. It doesn't eliminate the chance of them killing each other off but it does give you a better chance of them getting along.

Dave, I think keeping a harem has as much to do with live rock as the ratio of males and females, I would think you'd want just a single male and the rest female. I'm not sure how easy this will be. I think it's possible in your sized system. I'm sure an angel buff will post shortly.

Thanks for the replies and information. I do have a 6-8" Maculosis Angel that is changing into an adult finally. I also have a pair of Clarkii Clowns, but the rest of the fish are pretty docile.

Here's the original thread titled "FlameAngel Group" by Jaken that inspired me in doing a group of Flame angels.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903963

I'd 3 in a 75g back in 2006 so when I upgraded in 2007 I went with 6 FAs (ranging 1.75-2.25") in a 180g. I lost 3 last year to velvet after adding a Blueline angel. Six were fine together but I see the trio settled down and more happy then when there were 6 but that could very well be due to tank size and they were still growing. I'm left with 1 male (3.25") and 2 smaller females.

Your tank is definitely large with enough rocks to sustain them. I suggest getting the group in small size (1.75-2") and let the dominant fish emerge.

Oct 2007
DSC_1408Large.jpg

Oct 22 2009
DSC_4280.jpg

During the summer nights the male would take turn mating with each female (what a lucky guy :) ) by swimming up toward the top and almost directly in front of a powerhead and after releasing a cloud the male would swim away. One thing I haven't been able to figure out yet is that after the male swims away the female would chase the male around and normally the male would be chasing/nipping the female. I see this reaction from both females.

Here's a pic during one of the August nights
IMG_7838.jpg

How do you sex the flame angels? (Sorry if this is a threadjack) We have one now and want to have a pair, fish seem to always do better in groups. Our guy is in a 30g but will be upgraded to a 57g soon. Is that too small to even attempt a pair?

The dorsal fin on the male is pointy and more rounded on the female.

Here's the male
DSC_4869.jpg

If you're going to upgrade then I suggest adding a smaller FA after the upgrade. Chances are there will be chasing and nipping with new addition and with tight space the stress may be too much for the new addition. Having lots of rocks and caves will go a long way with new additions.

You can do it, sounds like you have a perfect setup to do this. Try and get them as small as possible it will makes things much easier, if they still have the ocellus on the dorsal fin that would be ideal.

Dave, I added 3 about 6 months ago, and only one lasted more than a month or so. The other two never looked good from the start. At first, there was no aggression, but after a couple of weeks, the one that survived seemed to always be chasing the other, weaker ones.

Now, I don't know if the other ones were weak because they were chased, or if they were chased because they were weak. Chicken/egg.

The one that I still have is the second-favorite fish for people who see my tank (behind the flame hawkfish).

flameangel88, from the 2nd pix it seem to me tat the 3 flames is slightly orange in colour, am i correct abt the colour??

flameangel88, from the 2nd pix it seem to me tat the 3 flames is slightly orange in colour, am i correct abt the colour??

Yes, the color of the male (4th picture) is very good representation of their color nowadays. Certainly as like the red when I first got them in 2007.

Back