growing macroalgae in display tank?

commodore

I don't have a fuge and would like to grow some macroalgae to reduce nitrates. Can I do it in my main tank? I realize the fish will eat some types, but what about putting some chaeto in there? Should it be allowed to float around or be confined somehow? Thanks

Neither would I.. Some folks do it with no problems but generally, you want it growing in a fuge or sump... Cheato breaks apart and could start clogging your pump intakes in the tank....

Bob

You could do it as long as you trim it. I have some in my main tank just to add some natural look but I keep triming it on weekly basis. Don't expect much if you are looking for nutrient reduction. Since you only have a small patch in the tank. If you did't trim on weekly basis this thing will take over your whole tank.Good Luck,

A.G

I placed a little wad in the upper left corner of my 58 gallon. Used a little Seaweed clip. Battling Hair Algae. The thing doubled in size within two weeks. I have cut it back to the original size several times since then. Works fine for me. However, I also added some Halimeda. That stuff is invasive. It has attached to a rock and looks like it may be hard to remove.

I have a couple wads of chaeto in the back bottom of my tank.I love in their because it keeps me stocked in pods for my manderine.Its not in direct light so it doesnt grow fast at all.

Putting macro-algea in a tank is like buying a cheap skimmer. It sounds like a good idea now but you will pay for it later.

DO IT!!!! it helps so much IME with Water Quality, i was to lazy to set-up a fuge so i just stuck some Cheato in my display on the sand, i also have Grape Kelp, another 3 unidentified species and Halmidea, i also have inj another 2 tanks Feather Caulerpa and Caulerpa Prolifera

go for it...i do it and it may help a little but i am building a fuge now because i was still taken over by algae.

Chaetomorpha, as most have said, isnt the best one for the display tank, most suited to refugia, mainly because it will encourage detritus and biofilms to form in the brillo pad-like mass. To keep growth up, rinsing it out once a week, when you trim, is the best course of action. Hard to do that in a display, plus you run the problem of having fragments form satellite colonies in the tank.

There are quite a few good display macros though and they will help a little in reducing nitrates over the long term.. Sargassum sp., red macroalges - Halymenia, Bortryocladia, Ochtodes, etc., and the green calcerous Udotea (mermaids' fan), Halimeda (cactus bush) and Penicillus (shaving brush) are all good options. Beware Dictyota sp. and the Caulerpas, which will both be too aggressive growers for the display.

Plumbing a small fuge isnt too difficult. You really might want to consider it.

>Sarah

I have Halimeda (came on LR) and Caulerpa racemosa in my FOWLR, the Caulerpa grows insanely fast. It's great at soaking up nutrients, but you REALLY need to keep an eye on it - I wouldn't put it in my reef, it would grow over the corals in a matter of days.

Commodore, I too suggest if you want, try it first with the Caulerpa prolifera. I say that because it is easy to remove if it gets out of control. It is easy to prune and fish don't really eat it all that well. Also it grows fast by removing the nutrients and you can pull it out of the tank easily.

Back