GSP Polyp Extension

Myka

Reefing since '93
I put this GSP into my tank 3 weeks ago, and it took FOREVER for it to come out...it's looking a lot better now, but it doesn't look nearly as "full" as I see in photos of other peoples' GSPs. what do you guys think?

May12007001-1.jpg

If it's coming out, things are going OK. Give it some time. Sometimes just having a crab run across mine is enough to put it into hiding for a few days. It will start to look better soon.

It had to adjust to your water conditions and lighting, so it's likely still a little stressed. Give it a couple more weeks and see how it's doing:)

i wouldn't worry unless they don't open at all, sometimes they will close up for awhile, gsp are real hardy almost indestructible anyway heres how mine look.

4-12-07003.jpg

Ok, so I'm right that it still has a lot more extension to do right? Everyday it is extending just a little bit more. :) It's extended more than it was at the LFS...

Thanks for posting the pic! :D

It actually looks like young gsp to me. As my gsp continues to grow so does the lengh of the polyps. Like Hop said, if it's extending it's happy. :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9857245#post9857245 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drummereef
It actually looks like young gsp to me. As my gsp continues to grow so does the lengh of the polyps. Like Hop said, if it's extending it's happy. :)

Oh really? Hmmm...well that would be interesting. Another thing I have noticed is that the purple mat isn't as brightly colored as I usually see in photos. I don't know if that changes color due to how happy it is or how old it is...?

Mine took awhile to grow from a small frag to this, and the length of all the polyps seemed to be smaller until I increased the light. But now all new growth is long polyps within a matter of weeks from sprouting.

New T5 setup:

SlamStar.jpg

Lower light PC's:

StarPolyps.jpg

Here is the growing edge, you can see the quick transition to long polyps very quick. It is spreading incredibly fast.

Battle.jpg

My GSP gets as much lighyt as I can throw at it. It can't get enough. I I think the really long GSP are found under lots of light. They ahve always been bright green though... With either light..

Lol, here is how they started :)

Staracitinic.jpg

I am now about to frag, they have almost grown to the bottom of that branch, at least 5-7 inches below the first pic.

Last edited:
Awesome! That's good to hear that my T5s will get them extending longer! I guess I just need more patience. hehehe...always need more patience in this hobby.

Just give it time to gorw out and all is well. if it does not open, then it is a problem.

It takes some time for some of the newere frags to grow out to really good and pretty polyp extentsion IME.

I think you have a different variety-- could even be an encrusting Gorgonian, Briariuem (sp?). The brownish mat and feathery polyps are a clue. Pachyclavularia (the true "GSP") have a purple mat.
Regardless, there are quite a few different "kinds" of GSP. Some are short and stubby and bright green, others are more feathery and wavier with delicate colors.

I was actually wondering if I have an encrusting gorgonian instead of GSP, but I used Eric Borneman's "Aquarium Corals" to closely compare the polyps on my GSP to the ones in the photos. My GSP's polyps don't look like HBtank's which have smooth "tentacles". Mine look like the bottom left photo on page 120 of the above book, as well as the bottom photo on page 119 if you happen to have that book.

My photography sucks (or maybe the camera isn't suited), so the color is not as good as it is in person. The mat is definately purple, no brown tint to it at all it's just not as vividly purple as I usually see. It's more of a white tint that mine has...looks faded. The polyps are "fringed" (like the above mentioned photos) and they look like they are brown and fluorescent green was painted on. Haha! How's that for an odd description? I'll see if I can get a better photo...

My GSP looks to be perking up which makes me happy since its my first coral.

But the edges of the purple mat are much much more pale than the rest. I looks like the light stuff is newer material. Should I be worried that the "growing" edges are much less purple than the rest of the mat?

You can see in my pic above that I have the same experience. The edges look like a bleached purple, and the white dots are the polyps forming.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9865912#post9865912 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drummereef
marino420td, why did you put my parent's old shag rug in your tank! :D

You haven't heard the latest aquascaping trend? the Brady Bunch look!

Back