gunk in refugium

MOBlueDevil

My refugium (about 18 months old, mostly caulerpa, razor.. - no chaeto) has been developing a thick, tenacious mucous that floats on the surface. This is not a thin, oily covering, but like very thick snot - when I pull it off, it all stays together until I have a large handful of it. It is clear and no bad odor. Tank is fine except a slight outbreak of hair algea.

Anyone have a clue what this could be?

Thanks

Water from tank overflow goes to refugium which overflows into sump with skimmer, then thru charcoal (in a bag in bubble trap) then back to tank. Lighting on sump is just a grow light from Home Depot.

My guess would be dinoflagelates (sp?), a bunch of different types. I've had a bout or two with them. They generally indicate a change of some sort. Alkalinity swing, temp. phosphates, even the age of the bulb over the fuge. A pic would be helpful.

one thing I've learned about my fuges is that they either need to be pruned regularly, or the macro needs to be stirred up a bit periodically if not ready for pruning.

I do prune about every 10 - 14 days, whenever it gets full looking!
It really doesn't look like dinoflag. - it's completely colorless, but thick. Reminds me of Slime we used to play with as kids, except for clear. The macro, bristleworms and pod population seem unaffected. I'm not sure if any actually got into the sump - it looks too thick to get thru the strainer.

I think it is the bubbles mixing with some type of dinoflagelates. I get the same thing in my sump with the cheato. I think the bubbles get trapped in the dinoflagelates and mix with tank waste and make a slimey layer..

Two other things I can think of. Again dino's, they do take on more than one form. Sponges come to miind also. One of my refugiums has had a similar problem, except it was a pale green/ yellow. I plucked it out a couple of times, and then it just disappeared on its own.

Floridafishman's description is what I meant to say made me believe dino's of some sort. That's why I just poke the macros around in the fuges when I see bubbles starting to collected at the top, I know then that pruning's the next step.

Thanks guys - I pulled it all out and pruned the macro yesterday, and so far no sign of reaccumulation. Doesn't seem to have caused any adverse effects.

Back