Hair algae

Ab129

My current tank has been running for about a year now.
Had a problem with green algae on my rocks last year and started vinegar dosing. I topped out at 18 ml a day and never stopped, continuing to put in the 18 ml a day. This did a great job getting rid of the green algae.
A few months ago I got a red tail trigger and he ate a LOT.
I know I started over feeding and sure enough got a bad outbreak of cyano and hair algae. I followed advice from board members and did a three day blackout maybe 6 weeks ago and I cut back on food.
I currently feed once a day and all I give is one cube of frozen food for 5 fish.
A pair of black snowflake clowns, a yellow tang, a Valentini puffer and the red tail trigger. This can’t be too much food can it?
The situation doesn’t seem to be getting any better.
And my anemones got all messed up from the blackout. I had like 7 rbta s and now I can only find two or three and they look bleached.

Last edited:
You are (I suspect: I've been through this) on your second bout of phosphate leaching from your rock or sand plus everything your 'eater' ate got pooed back into circulation, which is why getting something to eat the algae often doesn't work well. Your skimmer looks ok. Take a look at Reefflux, aka Fluconasol, and follow directions immaculately. It may solve your problem.

One whole cube of food a day for 5 fish in a 75 is still a lot. Your yellow tang should be helping you out. Filamentous algae is the majority of it's natural diet. It may help to remind him. Don't feed the fish at all for 3-4 days.

Competition for nutrients could help. Adding a macro algae somewhere in the system, whether right in the display, in a refugium, or in a chaeto reactor (or algae scrubber) would provide competition for the hairy stuff's food.

If you look at your aquarium as an ecosystem in the making, you may find you are missing some key elements. Most often it's the little guys at the bottom of the food chain - the detrivores. Spaghetti worms, micro brittle stars, bristle worms, pods and snails are tragically under appreciated in the hobby. Indo-Pacific Sea Farms is a great source (ipsf.com). Nassarius snails may help with your heavy feeding. They eat leftover food, not algae. Multiple species of reproducing snails will adjust their populations to match the algae supply. I like ceriths and mini-strombus.

If you'd like to add a fish to help, look at the Ctenochaetus tangs. They are detrivores.

Yes, there are cures in a bottle (bandaids actually). I find looking at my aquarium holistically, as an ecosystem-in-a-box is more enjoyable and rewarding, by looking to Nature for answers.

Last edited:
I agree with the holsitic approach. OTOH when it has gone on more than 2 years, I tend to go to what may work without killing off the diversity. But you are quite right in approach.

And I agree with you Sk8r. I'm not above using things like chemiclean after a months-long cyanobacteria struggle. I just like to start with natural solutions.

I don't expect everyone to dump their own methods to follow me down the nature-boy path. I only hope that my suggestions add to the discussion by providing another perspective and maybe one or two given a try. Good luck Ab129!

The reeflux specifically says it is not effective for hair algae.
The hair algae is a big part of the problem. Have you used it for hair algae in the past and gotten results.
How about a clean up crew?

I had a 2-3 year problem with some bad rock and hair algae thick as fur and up to 4" long. Reeflux did get it, and I haven't had trouble since. I had tried every other remedy. A year later, no recurrence. It's not the FIRST thing to try, (I used Phosban, sponges, water changes, etc) because it is a med, and rough on a tank, but when you're ready to pitch your phosphate-laden rock and start over, it's something to try.

Back