Hang on overflow question?

Smitty750

I have a 90 gallon tank with tempered bottom so an overflow box is just easier. Would u recommend the CPR overflow that requires a small pump for siphon, or a U tube overflow from somwhere like life reef. Anyone who uses any of these ur opininons are greatly appreciated

Life Reef by far over the CPR. They are on opposite ends of the reliability scale. The fact that the CPR needs an external pump to maintain a siphon and the Life Reef does not says it all.

Go for the U tube, as long as you have a good return pump you will be fine. You have problems when you do not push enough water to keep bubbles from building in the U tube.

The CPR style is a problem waiting to happen, by design it relies on a pump to start the overflow, very easy for algae or food or something to get stuck in the airline, which means you now have a mess.

Rick

get the Lifereef, you wont be disappointed. Get it with the gurgle buster and it's dead silent. I've had my power go off as well as just flicker plus cutting the return pump off and on to do tank maintenance and it has never failed to start right back up. Only time it breaks syphon is when I pull the tube out myself to put a clean one in a clean the other.

Word of advice, order an extra tube to make changing the tubes for cleaning quicker and if you break one you have a spare plus a couple of extra nylon bolts and wingnuts because they seem to get brittle with time and it will save you a headache incase you have one snap.

The single is fine for a 90G, It will handle up to 600 GPH which is more than you need for a 90G.

I agree, you want to maximize the flow thought the U tubes to keep the bubbles out. I have never had a drilled tank and have yet to have a U tube crap out on me, I just make sure to keep them clean.

I have never really understood why CPR went the way they did with their overflows. I like their products just the over flow design is a disaster in the making.

Rick

Reason I upgraded my tank to a pre-drilled was becuase the pump used with the CPR quit working one morning. Woke up to a nice damp floor. Definitely go with the overflows that use U tubes.

You mentioned that the bottom is tempered, what about the sides. If not you could go with one of lass-holes overflows. They are drilled through the back wall and don't take up much space. Comes complete with plumping and drill bit. Works great and there customer service is excellent.

So single output would be better than the Dbl? Cause its says up to 600 gallons not 600 gallons. At 600 thats a turnover rate of 6x per hour will that be ok for a mixed reef SPS dominant tank?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14148066#post14148066 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Smitty750
So single output would be better than the Dbl? Cause its says up to 600 gallons not 600 gallons. At 600 thats a turnover rate of 6x per hour will that be ok for a mixed reef SPS dominant tank?

You shouldn't use your return pump as your primary means of display tank water flow. That should be in the form of powerheads and/or closed loop. Too much return pump flow results in excess salt creep, microbubbles and does not allow your skimmer a fighting chance to process water since it's going by so quickly.

Generally, 3 - 5x display size turnover. 270 - 450 GPH. The single LR handles that just fine. The single U Tube is better for that level of flow.

Ive used both the CPR and the Lifereef. Not only does the CPR have the issue with possible pump failure but it is also impossible to clean without removing and soaking.

I use a dual lifereef on my 90 because I also use my return pump to run a chiller with over 900 GPH. I would use the single and go with less flow if it werent for the chiller.

The Lifereef was a great choice. There isnt a better hang on tank overflow on the market. Built like a tank and wont fail you. You wont be dissapointed.

I may be a bit late to the party but for my money, I prefer to use two overflows rather than a double. And I agree that the LifeReef is safer than the CPR for all the reasons mentioned. For your convenience, the purchase of a spare U-tube or two will be a boon. (Put the clean U-tube in, start the siphon, remove the one that needs cleaning.... r/r as needed.)

Back