Hang on overflow question?

I've run single and dual overflows. Having two is nice for the better surface skimming but has drawbacks. One is obviously, twice as much space used in the display, the extra plumbing. The other is you need twice as much flow to keep both U Tubes going. I wouldn't want any less than 450 GPH which is the high end of what you should run for return flow on a 90G. I liked the single LR overflow setup better. I had a 90G, 40G sump with an Eheim 1260. That setup worked very well.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14152642#post14152642 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjm817
I've run single and dual overflows. Having two is nice for the better surface skimming but has drawbacks. One is obviously, twice as much space used in the display, the extra plumbing. The other is you need twice as much flow to keep both U Tubes going. I wouldn't want any less than 450 GPH which is the high end of what you should run for return flow on a 90G. I liked the single LR overflow setup better. I had a 90G, 40G sump with an Eheim 1260. That setup worked very well.

The OP already bought the single. He is good to go.
Everyones system is different SJM. 900 GPH is right in the middle of my chillers required flow range. I have two options, either run the chiller with the return from the sump or a dedicated closed loop which requires a second pump to run the chiller in addition to the return pump. Since I prefer to run in tank circ. pumps (Vortech) instead of a closed loop, it makes no sense to set up a closed loop just for the chiller. So I run higher flow through the sump to accomodate the chiller.

The 3 - 5X flow rate through sump is all well and good but these things are NOT hard and fast "rules". They are guidelines. Its a good guideline but it doesnt fit every system and the success of ones tank does not depend on strictly following these type of guidelines or doing what everyone else does. I run about 900 GPH through my sump and use a dual Lifereef overflow to accomodate the flow requiements of the chiller. My system runs perfectly fine the way I have it set up.

I know that this is a bit off topic and it is NOT directed at anyone specifically but, I feel for those just starting out in the hobby. There is alot of great information on this forum and on the net but there ae so many opinions on different ways to do things. All too often these opinons are passed along as the ONLY way to do this or do that when the simple truth is that there are many paths that lead to success.

Yes, there are different ways to run a system. I posted my preference. I dont believe that I claimed it was the only way to do it. It is based on my exp with a 90G running single and dual U Tube overflows. This setup would work very well in most applications of this size. If there are certain requirements such as the need for a high flow chiller, you configure your system to accommodate those needs. I didn't see such a requirement in this case. People who try to run too much flow through their sumps are often back posting about how to fix the micro bubble, noise problems. Too little flow and you can have U Tube siphon problems.

Can I assume that a reduction of the pipe out of the overflow will allow for a decreased flow to a sump or fug. I like the Lifereef and am playing with the idea of using it on a 15g. Nano with about a 10g. sump/fug, but obviously would not want the standard flow rate. Sorry if this is a stupid question. Don't have much experience with this, but am trying to learn.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14154461#post14154461 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Apisto
Can I assume that a reduction of the pipe out of the overflow will allow for a decreased flow to a sump or fug. I like the Lifereef and am playing with the idea of using it on a 15g. Nano with about a 10g. sump/fug, but obviously would not want the standard flow rate. Sorry if this is a stupid question. Don't have much experience with this, but am trying to learn.
If you check out lifereef.com, you will find that he has nano overflows and also makes custom ones.

Good luck!

Any chance you can drill the back panel? If you do use a HOB, LR has a nano overflow that is smaller and also uses a smaller 3/4" diameter U Tube for the lower flow rate.

Guess I should have gone searching myself. The nano overflow looks like the ticket! Thanks to both of you.

Back