hangin light ??

Joe has it right if you can't line up the cables on the joists then what he did is the proper reinforcement. When installing drywall screws it is important not to put them in to deep, the paper on the outside is the strong part if you sink to deep you'll have a "screw pop "over time making it look bad.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12937548#post12937548 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by genzod66
yes thanx,the shipping weight ,does that include the ballast,cause i know they weigh around 10 lbs. each,so that would put the fixture around 35,the guy did say that when ur handling the fixture its cumbersome,cause of the length,makes it seem heavier,i picked it up yesterday,its not as heavy as i thought,wait til you see the unit i built to put the ballast on,its pretty cool. thanx again really!!

Yes, the shipping weight includes the ballasts, so I guess "They" were right after all!:bum: I would still recommend you reinforce the ceiling, though. It sure helps me sleep at night. Yes, these fixtures are cumbersome to handle, but they are worth it once they're up and running.
I can't wait to see some pics!!!!

Joe

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12937650#post12937650 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by o.c.d.
Joe has it right if you can't line up the cables on the joists then what he did is the proper reinforcement. When installing drywall screws it is important not to put them in to deep, the paper on the outside is the strong part if you sink to deep you'll have a "screw pop "over time making it look bad.

I'm glad to see a drywall expert chime in here! Thumbs up to you!!!!;)

Joe

Genzod, your idea of using a board to mount is fine, just make sure to hit studs.
I'd predrill and use 3" gold coated screws.
Mines about 8" off surface, up to 10-11 should be fine.

yes me and an electrician are gonna plot out the studs,then run a painted 2x6 across length of tank,and throw in a bunch of long deck mate screws in to the board into the studs,you can feel them bite,then attatch fixture to that,forget drywall,im a worry wart,i probably wont sleep if i do it like this,let alone into drywall,hell i wanted to hang it from steel rods directly into fixture,with a saftey harness,if i had my way,joe dont listen to "under kill"people,thanx bro!

I used mollies into the drywall for my fixture... The mollies make me a bit nervous though, as you can't see the legs spider out when you screw it into the hole you drive them through. I tugged on the cables pretty hard and it didn't come through, so I'm assuming the best.

I have a 48" aquamedic ocean light. It's not terribly heavy, but it's concerning. Problem was that I had a popcorn ceiling, so finding the studs was nearly impossible with a stud finder. I figured the mollies to be the best anchor solution.

Where was this thread when I was searching for help on this last Friday? :rolleyes:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12934419#post12934419 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Joe
I did a sweet job at hanging my fixture

So I'll go ahead and pm you when I need to hang my light for my next tank;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12941472#post12941472 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gypsyboy38
So I'll go ahead and pm you when I need to hang my light for my next tank;)

I can't find where I ever said "I did a sweet job at hanging my fixture". Where did you see that?

Joe

That could have been a slight paraphrase. Didn't want to take up a bunch of room with recopying the pictures. I was just saying it looked nice.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12944963#post12944963 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gypsyboy38
That could have been a slight paraphrase. Didn't want to take up a bunch of room with recopying the pictures. I was just saying it looked nice.

Well then, thanks for the compliment :D I thought I was going blind and senile trying to locate where I was tooting my own horn!

Joe

hey joe,how much light comes into ur room now that u hung the fixture,im hangin mine about 6 to 8 inches off the tank,this gonna be ok?i dont want to have to wear shades in my room, thanx

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12960214#post12960214 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by genzod66
hey joe,how much light comes into ur room now that u hung the fixture,im hangin mine about 6 to 8 inches off the tank,this gonna be ok?i dont want to have to wear shades in my room, thanx

I have my fixture about 14 inches above the tank. Those 250 watters really add some heat to the water. I haven't neede to install a chiller, but I do run one of those clip-on fans blowing across the sump. The light spilling out into the room isn't really a problem. It's not too bad. 6-8 inches should be fine...just keep an eye on the temp. till you see what's gonna happen.

Joe

Back