Happy fish?

JHemdal

Driving in to work this morning, with a half a pot of strong coffee boiling through my veins, I got to pondering â€"œ when you hear somebody say, “you need to do X,Y,Z in order to keep your fish happy” or “your fish cannot be happy in that size tank” what do they really mean? Are they using the word “happy” in place of “healthy” or “proper well-being”? Or do they really mean to imply that true happiness can be identified and then quantified in fish?

I may use that term myself â€"œ “Man, that fish sure is unhappy.” to identify a fish being bullied by a tankmate. What I really mean is “That fish has an ongoing territorial conflict with a tankmate, it is exhibitng a depressed demeanor and its well-being is compromised. If something isn’t done to change the situation, that fish’s health will be affected, eventually to the point of morbidity followed by mortality”. It is just faster (but far less precise) to use the word “unhappy”.

On the other hand, an animal rights advocate may look at a single fish in a tank and exclaim, “how unhappy that fish must be, all alone in that small tank”. I suspect that in these cases, they mean not the fish’s well-being and health, but that it is truly unhappy in the mammal paradigm of how the word is generally used in English.

Now don't get me wrong, I don’t have a problem that some people do with semantics â€"œ as long as their intent is clear. If somebody asks me how to keep a school of chromis, I know what they mean, and I don’t immediately go into a long discussion on how aquarium fish don’t actually form schools, they form shoals. Same thing could be the case with “happiness”, I'm content to let the term ride unless I think the people really mean "smiley face" happy as in "the opposite of sad" when talking about fish.

However, if for example, one of the “tang police” say, “hepatus tangs need at least a 150 gallon tank in order to be happy” they are not using the word in place of “healthy” if that same tang can be kept healthy and problem free, long term, in a 75 gallon tank. They are then adding an extra layer to the definition, one that cannot be measured or quantified. I do have a problem with that, it is misleading or ambiguous at best.

I’m not condoning keeping fish in small aquariums, I’m just opining that you cannot formulate tank size requirements based on intangibles such as the “happiness” of a fish. If your opinion is that this example fish is so much happier in the 150 gallon than the 75 gallon, that the smaller tank becomes a non-starter, then the fish would be whole orders of magnitude "happier" in the wild, and shouldn’t be kept in an aquarium at all.

Since 1985, I have been collecting fish respiration rate data as a means to try and identify stress in captive fishes. Certainly, I discovered that stressed fish respire at a higher rate (with temperature, species, size all being factored in). I then collected baseline data from wild fishes in the Bahamas and the Galapagos. My hypothesis was that fish from the wild would respire at the best, most stress-free rate. Funny thing â€"œ most of those fishes respired faster than captive fish. It turns out that swimming against currents and waves, sculling around looking for food and outswimming predators were all combining to cause these fish to be MORE stressed than captive fish by this measure. Are they less happy then?

So here is my working definition of “appropriate aquarium husbandry”, and I say this equates to "happy" for a captive fish:

If the fish shows no signs of chronic disease or abnormality, exhibits normal feeding and reproductive behaviors and most importantly, exhibits a normal lifespan compared to that of wild counterparts (minus the predation wild fish incur of course!), then there is no other metric we can use to determine if a certain suite of husbandry techniques are suitable or not.

So what do you think, â€"œ do fish exhibit happiness or is it just an overall feeling of well-being? (grin)

Jay

I think the terms "happiness" and "sadness" are elements of human emotion that we tend to project on other animals. I doubt if a fish is ever happy or sad. If a fish in your tank is not affected by toxic chemicals, can respire efficiently (not affected by toxins in the water), has the opportunity to eat sufficient food, and is not attacked by predators which would attack it for food or simply for territory, it is at close to "happy" as a fish can be.

In the wild a tang may swim miles in a single day, stopping occasionally to browse on food. If, in your tank, it has to change directions very frequently, but still finds sufficient food and is able to exercise sufficiently, I think it would be "happy".

I have a clown that I have had for nine years. I wonder it that fish could have survived on the reef for nine years. It has all it needs in terms of food, nothing is going to eat it, I keep the water parms healthy for it. Is it "happy"? How do you tell?

I think we all anthropomorphize a bit from time to time. WHen I used to work in animal research it was THE cardinal sin to record anything other than observable behavior. Even healthy can be a tough term to pin down exactly. Would a sedated fish with a lower respiratory rate be healthier? Is the fact that a cat that never gets to go outdoors is statistically likely to live longer mean that the cat that is confined indoors is healthier or happier?

I think that "happy" is a pretty hard to operationalize behaviorally and prove one way or another.

So its all as clear as mud! :lol:

jenglish,

Well, that was the focus of my original post - the definition of "fish happiness" certainly isn't clear to me and I've worked with fish professionally for 35 years or so. Anthropomorphizing with non-human mammals is pretty easy to do - and may even be valid. When a dog greets its owner at the door, jumping all around, it is pretty easy to decide that it is "happy".

Your cat example is less clear - is a cat kept indoors "happier" compared to one that can go outside and capture songbirds? I would agree and say it is not. However, is the well-being of the indoor cat better? I would emphatically say yes (based on the number of pancake cats you see by the side of the road). Can a squished cat be happier than one held indoors? Believe it or not, some animal rights activists actually feel this is true! (Certain feral cat groups for example).

My proposal here is that since the definition of "happiness" becomes less and less clear as you move out of the realm of higher order endothermic animals, and into that of ectotherms, that "welfare" then becomes paramount - simply because it CAN be measured.

Your sedated fish analogy has actually been worked out - it turns out that if you anesthetize a fish with metomidate, its cortisol level (stress hormone) increases, so although its respiration rate is lower, its stress level is higher. I found the same thing in my respiration rate study with high ammonium ion levels - stressful to the fish, but it actually depresses respiration rates.

I guess all I'm saying is that there are some people here on RC that use the term "a happy fish" and they don't mean that just in terms of appropriate welfare, they mean "happy" like a cat outside eating songbirds 'till its belly is full - and I just can't see the same thing.

Jay

Last edited:
I don't think I'm as much of a feral cat activist as someone who hates to clean a litterbox that got tired of trying to keep in a cat that wishes to go out ;)

I will try and look into what the anatomy and neurotransmitter reaction looks like in humans to see if what is operationalized as happiness in humans can even have an analogue in fish. It is a much simpler system and off the top of my head I can't remember what fish brain looks like. Even if one could establish that a fish was capable of first emotions, and secondly the specific emotion of happiness, I think it would be very hard to say that we are capable of reliably identifying it in fish. I think that healthy and active are much more reliable measures.

p.s. I thought your name looked familiar and today I noticed you were the author of one of the books in my fish library :lol:

Back