Have you any idea what this may be?

weatherson

Premium Member
Hi Anthony,
I'd posted these following photos of a newly found critter in my tank on my thread and it was suggested that I post them here for you to see. I've not added anything like this either to my existing tank or the tank before it of which I transferred the contents from. I'm also very observant of my tank, both day and nighttime, so to find something so unusual and relatively large was more than a little disheartening. ;) I've looked through my books onhand and the closest I have come to an ID is the East Pacific Cypraea albuginosa. Am I close in this guess?

Joseph

347_slug.jpg

And a closer shot.

348_slug_close.jpg

Cheers, Joseph :)

As you may have heard from others/experts, and need to know, ID down to a species is nearly impossible from an image alone... even to a genera is asking too much at times. From my weak little 15" monitor here... its even harder :D

I can offer some insight though I believe...

The chance that this mollusk is an Eastern Pacific species is highly unlikely. Few collections are made in these waters for any reason that would lead to you acquiring such a critter even incidentally. The fact that what little is collected there is largely temperate and wholly inappropriate (like the red-footed snails and green sea hares commonly sold) for the tropicals industry makes it even less likely that did you get a specimen, it would survive for very long.

There are some other Cypraea species in the popular collection areas of the tropical Pacific like the Indo/Phillipines though that have these very same branchlike pappillae. It could sneak in under rock with other collected invertebrates easily. One common variety is Cypraea miliaris (Millet Cowry). Do look up pics of this critter and consider if it looks like yours. FWIW... as a rule, Cypraea are not ultimately reef tank friendly. Remove to a refugium for observation.

best regards,

Anthony :)

Anthony,
I surely would remove this guy and isolate him if he weren't the Sasquatch of my tank. He appeared twice in the same location and has now vanished again. ;) Perhaps now that it's apparently growing in size, I will have more sightings of him and the possibility for removal.

Your advice that Cowry's are not great reef tank inhabitants is based on what? Is it their potential size and ability to re-aquascape? Or is there some other issue?

Unfortunately, the greatest amount of photos I was able to come across on the net were of shells only. Apparently, there is a huge Cowry shell-collecting hobby out there. :( I'll keep searching though.

I greatly appreciate your assistance and provided information. So if our new local club were to offer you a shiny, brand new 19" monitor, you'd come give a talk, right? :D

Regards,
Joseph

Hey, Joseph

theres not much to be worried about. Short of the few cowries that are obligate feeders on some desirable reef inverts (like the infamous flamingo tongue on gorgonians), most are relatively safe and not too furious when not.

As to how we know they are generally not reef tank safe - its not too hard. Even though not much is known about the several hundred described species as aquarium guests - form follows function. Their mouth parts are telling and quite a few are carnivorous - consuming sponges, corals, colonial anemones, tunicates, etc.

Even if you luck out on one of the herbivorous species... they still grow too large or require too much algae to be sustained for much more than a year or two in aquaria. This really is a very poorly suited group of mollusks for aquarium life.

As for the monitor... I'd have to decline with kind thanks :D But I would be delighted to visit your club :) I do not ask for any speaking fees, most always decline an honorarium (unless the event is for-profit and the club actually turns a profit to be able to afford a stipend). Really... all I ask for is a plane ticket and a place to sleep. My schedule is posted on readingtrees.com. I do try to limit myself to one trip per month, but can extend weekends for two clubs to share expenses and triangulate a flight itinerary.

kindly,

Anthony

Hey Anthony,
OK... 21" monitor it is and that's my final offer! :D Our club is just getting started so we will definitely keep you in mind for our inaugural speaker presentation. It would be great to have you.

I thought I would add a couple of photos I was able to get last night of the Cowry. I found it, shot some photos and it dove into the rocks. I'll have to save the removal for another siting. ;)

Here's a rear shot;

349_cowry_rear.jpg

And a frontal shot;

350_cowry_front.jpg

It would appear to measure approximately 1.5" long. Quite an incredible creature.

Joseph

excellent images my friend... very good clarity/res. Helpful tip too... I noticed the shadow in the lower portion of the bottom image. It suggests you are relying on the onboard flash like most folks and/or you did not have a close up lens.

To correct this, the first, single-best thing you could do is get a remote flash if your camera has a boot for a slave. It will help you get even better images!

best regards,

Anthony

Dear Sirs,
IMHO it is C. Erosa. I have two or three in my tank. They are herbivorous couries.
Best Regards,
Lev

Thanks Lev. With your suggested name identification, I was able to find photos online that confirms it to be a C. Erosa. I've left it in the tank, studying it at night and haven't noticed any bad behaviors. Therefore, at this point, I am going to leave him in there. It's just a shame it is nocturnal as it's a extraordinary creature. ;)

Joseph

Back