Having a new sump built...customizing..need help!

AquaWave523

I am having a LFS build me a new sump (Please no DIY referals).

I have a 90 Gallon and a Pine AGA stand...so there's enough room for at least a 30 gallon down there. I'm thinking of making the sump into a refugium, sump and also space for my new protein skimmer MSX 200. Will this all work in a 30 gallon? I'm not sure how big of a refugium I would need in a 90 gallon and I'm envisioning a 3 part sump.

The tank most likely be a 30 gallon(36" x 18" x 12") or 38 gallon (36 x 13 x 20), not sure if the sump should be better long or standard.

Part 1: Sump return (about...20+ gallons but not completely filled up..maybe 10 gallons filled.)
Part 2: Protein Skimmer (MSX200- 5 gallons)
Part 3: Refugium (5 gallons????)

It will work

It will work

It will work in a 30 gallon long tank.Of course the size of your skimmer (footprint with pump) would help you determine how much room is left over for a refugium/sump area.I don't see it being a problem.Maybe you should get a hang-on skimmer for the sump to save even more on space.

I have Aqua C Remora on my 20 gallon it skims well.Alot of stinky skimmate.I run a Rio 1100 on it.I am going to upgrade the pump soon but for know it works pretty good.I have heard good things about the hang on back Octopus skimmer as well.I am sure more readers will chime in with more suggestions.Those are 2 to get you started in your search.

Back