Having trouble raising alk

Patrick Cox

I have a roughly 100G primarily SPS aquarium that has been up and running since Feb, 2016. Over the past year or so it has been fairly stable. Over the past year I have been running my Alk around 7.5. I started the tank out with low alk because I initially tried Zeovit but then stopped and never raised my alk. Over the past 6-9 months I have been experiencing some pretty good growth and have had to keep raising my daily dosing. (I use hourly dosing pumps and does ESV products.)

Now all of a sudden my Alk dropped to 6.5 so I started adding some supplemental Alk doses to try to raise my alk level and I can't seem to get the level back up. On top of my daily dosing of 38mm of ESV Alk and CA, I dosed an extra 5 ml per day of Alk with no increase so I tried 10ml per day with no increase and now today I have dosed an additional 20ml of Alk. So now I am wondering if I have a balance issue.

So I just took the following 3 tests...

Alk - 6.6
CA - 385
Mg - 1245

I decided after these tests to also dose 10ml of CA and 100 ml of Magnesium (ESV as well.)

Any thoughts on why I can't seem to get my Alk back up? Maybe there is a problem with my supplement? Is there a way to test the strength of my dosing solution? Do I have a balance issue where one level won't allow Alk to raise? I am not really that well versed on this.

Thanks for suggestions!

Assuming about 70 g of actual water volume, 58 ml per day of B-Ionic Original corresponds to about 2 dKH consumed, which is within normal expectations. Maybe the corals or coralline have picked up in growth? My soft coral tanks went through 2-3 dKH per day for years. I might try dosing 60 ml with measurements before and after the dose, just to be sure the kit is working, but I suspect that you just need to dose more.

Assuming about 70 g of actual water volume, 58 ml per day of B-Ionic Original corresponds to about 2 dKH consumed, which is within normal expectations. Maybe the corals or coralline have picked up in growth? My soft coral tanks went through 2-3 dKH per day for years. I might try dosing 60 ml with measurements before and after the dose, just to be sure the kit is working, but I suspect that you just need to dose more.

Thanks for your reply. I am closer to 90G with my sump so I will try a larger dose and see if that works. I am always cautious about adding too much. But my corals are getting larger so I guess that means they continue to consume more elements.

Thanks.

OK, so this morning I get up and test my alk and it is now 7.2. And as a reminder, for several days I had only been dosing and testing alkalinity. And then last night I tested and then dosed CA and MG, along with another 10 ml of Alk. Values and dosing amounts from last night are above.

Now this morning I find this...

Alk - 7.2
CA - 415
MG - 1330

So, could I have had a balance issue? I feel like I have read that magnesium is required for something and my magnesium was low.

I will keep see where I am at the end of the day today and adjust my dosing pumps from there.

Thanks!

Those levels are fine. There's really no such concept as "balance" here. The canonical ocean level for magnesium is around 1270 ppm, so 1320 ppm is fine.

Not really. I ran with magnesium at 1100 ppm for years because the old Instant Ocean mixed up to that level, and I never had any issues. Eventually, I started bringing the level up out of caution or OCD, I am not sure which, and never noticed a difference.

Back