Head Pressure Question

Hellsangelbx

Hi Reef Central, I'm building a new tank setup first time running the sump so far away from the tank. I was figuring out the head pressure that I have so I can pair the right pump with it. I have a total of 20 vertical feet and 21 horizontal feet with 7 90 degree elbows. I figured out to be of 30 Feet of head pressure.

Let me know if you agree with this?

Also, what pump would you run. I wanted to run an abyzz a400 but can't find enough detail?

Iwaki is killer, but noisy. If it's not in an area you'll be living in, it's great. Iwakis are what my lfs used, and they're tough and shut down to save themselves from damage, a very good trait in a spendy pump.

Thanks guys
[MENTION=44020]vinny[/MENTION]_kreyling do you know how to calculate that? I'm having trouble with the full calculation and want to make sure I have it all covered?

The easiest way to figure out how much will drain back is to set it all up but run it with the sump at it's lowest possible volume. Then, turn off the pump and let the sump back fill. I'd allow for that amount plus a couple inches. Then make a mark on the sump so you know the max fill line.

On mine, I have a max (red line), normal (green), and minimum (yellow) so that I don't have to think so much when topping off/doing water changes

Hi Reef Central, I'm building a new tank setup first time running the sump so far away from the tank. I was figuring out the head pressure that I have so I can pair the right pump with it. I have a total of 20 vertical feet and 21 horizontal feet with 7 90 degree elbows. I figured out to be of 30 Feet of head pressure.

Let me know if you agree with this?

Also, what pump would you run. I wanted to run an abyzz a400 but can't find enough detail?

What details do you need. Here's a US link for the Abyzz a400:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/a400-3m-dc-controllable-pump-abyzz.html

I have one of them.

What I was trying to figure out if I'm running my head pressure calculation. It's a great point up to on how many gaps of water is sitting in my pipes.

Once I have that correct than I could figure out what pump makes sense

Back