Healthy Crocea?

AS11423

In Memoriam
If I can have you guys give your expert opinion on this guy. Does he look healthy? He's only about two inches in size, and the reason I ask if you guys think he's healthy is because he's not exactly under optimal lighting conditions at the moment as I am waiting for my MH upgrade which won't be here for another week. I've had him for the same length of time.

TIA

CIMG2613.jpg

CIMG2614.jpg

CIMG2615.jpg

CIMG2616.jpg

and why does he look all blue when you see it from the side but green when you look from the top?

Looks healthy to me! But I don't have any clams yet. I think the color change is the way the pigments are on the clam. Could be wrong though. Consider this a free bump! lol
Tom

the mouth looks a little to wide. how long have you had him? has he already attached to any rock or tank bottom yet? have you been feeding him?

He'll be a week in my tank on Saturday. I placed him on the substrate and he's been there since, tipped on its side once so I had to fix that. I feed the tank DT's phyto.

How do I check to see if he's attached? Move it around or something? It closes at like the slightest movement around him.

and yes. DT's phyto is the only thing at the moment.

simply see if you can pick him up. if you cant, then he's either attached, or in the process of doing so. His closing is indicating that he's reactive and in good health.

As far as diet, for DT's phyto is good. but I would mix in DT's oyster eggs and bio-plankton(bacteria) as DT's is algae, and mixing in the other foods will give more of a carnivorous and varied diet.

I think it's attached. I tried to pick it up off the sand and it wouldn't come off so easily so I left it alone.

what i was taught was to see if his foot is attached in the sand or to a rock. make surehis mouth, the intake valve isnt open really wide like more than a half inch and make sure he reacts to light. so take your ahnd and put a shadow over him with it and he should close up, that means his nervous system is working well and he doesnt ahve too much stress. they say the number one problem with those guys in captivity is stress from shipping and then they cant ajust to captivity well.

Nice one! Mouth is open a little wide (not unusual when first put in the tank) but looks perfectly healthy otherwise. The color variation you mentioned is normal and desirable. The color of some clams changes depending on the viewing angle. I have one that looks blue from the side but bright green from above. If I were you I'd just leave it where it is until you get the light. Waving your hand over it, moving it, poking it, force feeding it, etc. are just going to stress it and stress is a #1 killer of clams.

You might want to move it to a rock and not on the bottom before too long. They seem to do better if kept off the bottom.

if it's only 2 inches it's not dependent on light yet. Around 3 inches they need MH lights. Or if you have PC they need to be close to the light. At this point they need to be fed a lot. So it sounds like your feeding him reg. That's perfect. don't worry about the lights just yet. you have time. If he starts to open a lot and looks like he wants light then move him up the water colum.

Back