Heater question

beester15

What do you all do for heaters? I just had yet another heater fail on me. It looks like I am going to have to buy a controller and just replace the cheap glass heaters on a regular basis.

I have an apex but the built in stat is better than any on the market.

That said one ought to replace all heaters annually in this hobby. Most of us don't but that's risking disaster. Always have a spare on hand!!

Other than a full Apex, are there good dedicated controlers? I have been looking at the Zwave or Insteon temp sensors. But not seeing anything that is water proof and does not need another controller.

Ranco was reliable when I used it.

Mike they all fail. Treat heaters like vho or halide it uv bulbs....they wear out and need replacing annually then you won't be frustrated!!

+1. Heater failures are very common horror stories on the reef boards. I use my Apex for heater control, but have heard of success with the Ranco. I don't have a spare heater for my tank....I think I just found my Black Friday purchase :)

+1 on the Ranco, or Apex for a controller. set the heater stat at a degree or 2 higher than you set the controller.

Also Eheim or Finnex Titantium heaters.

ditto on Eheim heaters as stand alone units and Finnex Titanium + Apex....
I do both (on separate systems) :thumbsup:

Eheim controlled with Reefkeeper Lite. Temp stays stable at 79 degrees. Prior to controlling with Reefkeeper my temp fluctuated a bit.

Beware the finnex IME -- and it was a long, rich experience. Those titaniums also, IME, were particularly nasty at encrusting themselves in thick calcium carbonate. I much prefer the peace of mind with the Eheim on a controller.

Back