Heater won't fit in sump

rtague

Hi all,
I'm in the process of setting up a 75 g mixed reef.Perfecto 75 g rr with custom built sump.I purchased the eheim jaegar 250w heater which won't fit in any of the sumps compartments:angry fire:.My question is,will the 200w version be enough to heat 90-95 gallons total volume ,the shorter 200w would fit.I've kept fresh water for a long time and found 1-2 w per gallon to be sufficient,any thoughts?

Thanks Skene,got my first coral from you a couple of years back,free kenya tree!
upgrading to a 75.

likely fine, depends on your ambient temp, pumps, lighting, etc. Start with the 200, if you need to add another small heater and have 2 small heaters rather than 1 big one, it'll work fine.

I have heard of some refers use tow small heater instead of one so if one fails off they still have one to keep working until they replace the failed heater. I personally don't do it.

Compared to the average FW tank, a SW tank runs much much hotter. Powerful lights & pumps are the reason. Room temperature is an important consideration. I too like splitting the heaters as a failsafe. Remember, heater failure might be the number on killer of SW tanks besides tropical storms and vacations. No need to over do heating IMO. Consider a controller for your heaters.

My 65g runs in 72F room temp and my heater never comes on - and the tank will want to run at 80F or more....and sometimes my chiller comes on to keep it at my 79F set point.

Two small heaters are better than one I'm told.

I use one 300w heater in my 160g with 50g sump & it does the job but I plan on going the two heater route just in case one fails.

Two small heaters are better than one I'm told.

I use one 300w heater in my 160g with 50g sump & it does the job but I plan on going the two heater route just in case one fails.

Good call mate!
Just put it or them any where, just do not put the head of it in the water, ever!

Good call mate!
Just put it or them any where, just do not put the head of it in the water, ever!

Just curious, why not put the head under the water? I use 4 diffrent types of heaters in my tank and breeding setup and never had problems with them being completly submerged.

Many put their heaters in the overflow. Usually room for even the longer heaters there. Every heater I've seen can be completely submerged.

Yeh they say that they can be, but after many years, its not true!
Use is salt water is a quicker death for heaters.
That heat and then cold and expansion and contraction over years takes its toll and you get a surprise one day, probably during winter.
I have two heaters that function great and they are over 30 years old and have never had the heads in the water.
Then there is another protective measure to take, I have never had a power heads impellor area last any less then 18 years due to always placing them after barriers of dacron.
I use a very cheap chiller that was said to be crap 8 years back and might only last one year, with a complete fabric softener flush and a tear down maintenance of all electrics and compressor after each season, its still going strong.
I suppose if you are vigilant and don’t mind replacing stuff at less then half its potential life, then its all good.

well I have some heaters that are over 10 years old and have always been submerged and they still work as good as the day I bought them and they were the cheap brands. I do have each heater on their own temp controller though, I will never trust any heaters thermostat no matter how spendy they are.

You could just put it in your overflow, I've had my heater in my overflow for two years now with no issues. My water stays between 78-80 degrees works well for me I have a 75 as well.

well I have some heaters that are over 10 years old and have always been submerged and they still work as good as the day I bought them and they were the cheap brands. I do have each heater on their own temp controller though, I will never trust any heaters thermostat no matter how spendy they are.

There you go, that's what fails on some submersed heaters and then all of them after some years.

Yeah but they will fail even if not submerged. I guess its just one of those things that is neither right or wrong but what works for one person. Im not saying your right or wrong was just wondering :)

Back