Helios III T5 Lights

luke33

In Memoriam
I talked to Premium Aquatics and they have these new 71" single fixture with 105w of t5. Does anyone know if they are any good, i know helios didn't use to be so swell, but now they have individual reflectors and look pretty well built. Would 5 of these lights work on a 125g sps tank you think? Just curious on your thoughts. here' s a link, someone must like them since they are sold out.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...D&Product_Code=VIA-27136&Category_Code=Helios

Jeeeeez, who knows anything about these lights? They sure look good don't they guys. If premiumAquatics are carrying them, they must be decent. I talked to premium about them today and asked them if they would work for a sps tank with enough(4-5 for my 125g was teh question) they said they should work, but were not for sure. I wish jeremy or jay would have been there to answer my question. IMO, if they are individual reflectors and decent bulbs, they will work perfect. And for teh price they are i will gladly buy them. The only thing i don't like is they do not have legs....boo hooo. Who cares at those prices! Someone please chime in! Grim? D? Rich? Where the hell are ya?

actually i think there might be some info over in the t5 thread, but it's just so many pages to go through. lol

Yea, i just read the t5 Q &A, must have taken atleast 15min (lol), i only found a few mentions of the helios t5's. It talked about them being throw away's after the bulb burns out. I know this was the case with the version 1 and 2's but the three's are supposedly reusable t5 fixtures, am i missing something?

I dont really see the value here.

The fixture is $78. Lets say $25 for a bulb. Total of $103 per lamp. A 6 lamp setup is $618. A 6 lamp 60" Ice cap retro is $650. I'd rather spend the few extra $ and get the Ice Cap setup.

But the 71" is 105 W, could i get by with 5 for a 125g? And for budget purposes, spend 100 a month or every other. I'm thinkin spend 300 on three then two hundred on two more in a few more months, my main concern being, are they throw away fixtures or are they fixture's taht are going to last?

The 60" Ice Caps are run @ 100W. You could also buy 3 Ice Caps and add 2 more later. Its not a throw away setup. Better choice of bulbs and better (I assume) reflectors.

The Helios are OK. The super blue lamp they have is my favorite blue T5. They aren't going to have the intensity of the Ice Cap but will do better than something with a flat reflector.

I taked to ASH early in the week. I was looking to drive the 71" T-5 with my 660. He said it should be able to drive 2 of the 71" lights.

Grim have you heard anything about Helios's Daylight bulbs like the 11K?

Yeah, they (helios daylights) are not bad. About the same as what current has. Running those 71" lamps on a 660 could be a hit. You would just have to use a couple 36" reflectors for it.

Back