*Reef Breeders Photon v2 and T5 installation, testing, and review*

You're looking at it wrong.

To get the same coverage with a "name brand" fixture you have to double their quantity as well. I could have easily just went with 2 32" Photon V2s and T5s on the outside and would have been just fine.

But. I really like the T5s down the middle. I wanted no doubt about complete coverage absolutely everywhere. I wanted them to be angled in to get reduced bleed out from the tank and focused into the tank. I wanted to reduce disco effects from the Reds and Greens. I wanted to reduce spot lighting and hotspots caused by the whites and blues.

I think I accomplished all those by getting double the amount of fixtures really needed at the same price as getting a normal amount of name brand fixtures with the same high quality LEDs that are included in the Photon V2s. 5w Cree's 3 watt Osram and Semi's. No Bridglux or Epi's like many other black boxes. Absolutely a great bang for the buck.

To compare price properly you have to double their cost as well. Like I was looking at Kessils. Great LEDs. But with the AP700s I'd need 4 of them or 6 of the 360's. Right there is over $3000.

Look at Slief's setup with his Mitras and Kessil combo. That's how you do it. It's an amazing setup and beautiful reef. FULL coverage of LEDs. Same with Sanjay's reef. LEDs EVERYWHERE over top. So, I took their lead and plastered LEDs up in the canopy.

I understand what you are saying but.........my individual thinking was that the Mitras have 72 LEDs in each unit @ 195 watts in a 13" long unit whereas the Photon 32's have the same # of LEDs @ 220 watts in a 32" long unit. So in essence by simply purchasing 3 of the Mitras you would have a total of 3 x 72 LEDs or 216 LEDs @ roughly 600 watts peak power...as compared to 144 LEDs @ 440 watts peak power in the same 72" long tank. I understand that you went further and now have 288 LEDs & 880 watts peak...but was wondering if the 3 mitras would have accomplished the same for $250 more than you spent on the four V2's. With the possible advantage with the Mitras being greater flexibility in programming, control over the individual colors, 9 channels and light diffusing reflectors. I do understand your thought process though and it is thought provoking.
Perplexing....isn't it?

Last edited:
Watt ratings are, at best, an approximation. Generally more theoretical than real.
all depends on drive currents..
Mitras uses the Kessil "gimmick" of under-driving all the channels in order to:
GHL’s lighting is the Power Balancing Technology (PBT). They describe this as a way to change your colors without losing out on overall power output. Most lights have their maximum available power only accessed when all color channels are running at 100%. If you reduce a color channel, then you’re not ever going to reach the full power performance.

GHL’s doesn’t run all the color channels at 100% but aims for balance. By using a microcontroller....

It is a fine concept, but it means you "waste" a lot of potential..
Think about it this way..
You have 2 channels running at 50%..say blue and white..
As you use " Power Balancing Technology" and increase the watt output of the white channel the blue channel needs to decrease in power output to match..
Bottom line is when white is at 100% watt output blue needs to be at zero.

on both channels "full" they are only at 50% each..leaving 50% potential at the door..

now this is admittedly a plus and a minus. Saves from increasing output (and burning corals) w/ spectrum shifts but decreases total watt output capability..

. By using a microcontroller, its able to run all color temperature options while maintaining top power output

well top power is a bit misleading..;)
unless I'm looking at this wrong..

Point is it is freaking hard to compare LED power ratings by marketing statements..and not bashing Mitras, looks to be a fine unit..
They "all do it" for the most part.. There are some that state "real" diode watts, but not many.

Hard to sell a light w// say 50 3W diodes and then state the REAL output is only 2 watts..

Frank, look at the power levels Jason is running the V2's at. IMHO he has gone way overboard (which is perfectly OK and his right to do) in trying to get good overall coverage. I seriously doubt that most of us would spend the money he has to run fixtures at low power levels to get better coverage (my opinion). But if that is what you are looking for, better coverage, that's cool. If you are looking to grow your coral faster, I think you may be wasting your money.

I had 2 of the old Photons 32" fixtures over my old 180g sps tank and had no issues growing corals. Now I have just 1 of the V2 50" fixtures over my 60"x24"x20" tank and it is even more sps dominate. Now it's only been set up for 6 months, but I'm getting good growth. The coverage front to back could be a bit better. I have some corals growing on the back glass that would probably do better with more light. But over all, I have a 5' tank lit for $610 and grow sps corals just fine. Would 2 Photon V2 50" fixtures cover the tank better? Yes they would. And I'd probably end up running them at something just over 50% of what I run the single fixture to get the same PAR, but spread better over the entire tank.

As I said, I think Jason has gone way over the top with 4 of the V2's and t5's as well. But there is nothing wrong with that, it's his prerogative. I'm just saying it's really not necessary.

BTW, I'm looking very seriously now at the ReeFi-Lab leds. I think I'm going to get one pendant and try it over my frag tank. If I like it I may switch out my old Photon 32 for more ReeFi-Lab fixtures over my 65g shallow reef.

Yep, I totally agree with Ron.

2x 32'" photons would have done just fine. I've already stated that and why I went the direction I did and very pleased with the results. To me it was worth it and still cheaper or the same price as some high end fixtures.

Ron,
I'm not concerned so much with growing corals "faster" as much as good growth and good coloration, (overall healthy corals). Of course if I can accomplish the same prerogative by spending $1k as opposed to over $2K I would do that. It's just that sometimes you get what you pay for........I don't want to shell out $1k and then later regret not getting the better lights. I think all discussion is healthy.....this is how we get educated.
Jason,
I kind of like what you did with the double lights but not sure if that is what I would opt to do. I still haven't made up my mind yet.
Frank

BTW, I'm looking very seriously now at the ReeFi-Lab leds. I think I'm going to get one pendant and try it over my frag tank. If I like it I may switch out my old Photon 32 for more ReeFi-Lab fixtures over my 65g shallow reef.

Interesting......I like the color spectrum except I would have added some more Blue at the 470 to 480nm range. Never heard of them prior to your post.

Frank, I agree that discussion here is key to learning and finding new ways to do things. :thumbsup::beer:

I have considered adding 2 t5's, 1 in front and 1 behind my led fixture. But mine isn't in a canopy and I haven't found anyway to make adding the t5"s and still have a clean modern look. But all because of Jason, I'm considering a second Photon V2... or maybe a couple of the ReeFi-Lab pendants. Both are $600 expenditures and both would look OK. Although a 2nd Photon would be almost invisible from the front of the tank. And they both could be tipped slightly, the front one towards the back and the back one tipped slightly toward the front. And the back fixture(s) could be a bit more blue giving the tank a slightly thicker look, darker or more blue toward the back as if you were looking through more water. Darn it Jason, now see what you've done! :debi:

Oh, nice, I haven't thought of making the back row different spectrum from the front. I may have to try that. Will have to use two remotes I imagine. If I remember reading right you have to turn off one and turn on the other you want paired and vise versa.

Oh, nice, I haven't thought of making the back row different spectrum from the front. I may have to try that. Will have to use two remotes I imagine. If I remember reading right you have to turn off one and turn on the other you want paired and vise versa.

Yup, it's one of the features that they have in the remote, but it doesn't work, so it's a PITA! But it might just look really good.

Now if you do it and you love the look, you realize you may well have pushed me into another fixture! :headwally:

Yup, it's one of the features that they have in the remote, but it doesn't work, so it's a PITA! But it might just look really good.

Now if you do it and you love the look, you realize you may well have pushed me into another fixture! :headwally:

Ha!

I'll have to try it this weekend some time.

Most recent testing and results with my current light schedule

2nd day of tracking done. With the Apex logging every 10 minutes it definitely had the advantage to register a better number through the hour. The Seneye only logs twice an hour and if the first one was blocked a lot and reports an obviously low bogus number you just hope the 2nd report logged isn't the same. Being able to get on the local interface to get live readings is very valuable if wanting to get accurate PAR numbers plus it gives you the PUR which isn't on the seneye.me cloud yet.

That said, nothing much changed. As I mentioned earlier they both over all have lower numbers the. Yesterday as they don't average things properly throwing out obviously wrong numbers.

And through out even with the logging advantage the Apex PMK was reading much lower PAR numbers. Pretty much what I saw a couple days ago when first putting the PMK in the tank. About a PAR of 20 lower when looking at what was reported to the cloud.

6522bdd8d198ac632773482a4eabfee6.jpg

8d622e225aaccc8cb12a72d0035117c8.jpg

Can anyone give an input on the color of the V2s? I have V1s but have always felt they where a bit to white in color appearance for me (even running blue channel much higher than white). Do the V2s have a better blue balance? How do the compare as far as color appearance to radions or the V1s? I have never seen a V2 in person so I just have no idea if it would actually give me the color I want. I have seen the radions and like the color (at least the ones at tanks at my LFS) but not sure if I am ready to spend radion money yet, specially if I can get the color appearance I am looking for in the V2s.

You can easily modify the color spectrum of the lights with the 6 different channels. I can't compare the V2 vs. the V1 though but Ron should be able to as he's had both. The white only channel to me is yellowish. But mix it in with the other colors and blends in very well. In fact my favorite time of day is 10am and 10pm with just the royal blue and white on.

What par are the BTA'S under?

Ok, got my peak of the day 4pm lighting schedule measurements all around the BTAs. Side to side is all the same.

0abee55412e05d2fb3889b57bd74e311.jpg

The bottom where that clown fish is and the bubble tip is sticking out of the cave is right around 200.

The row of bubble tips above that about 220.

Just above that about midway up the tank about 260.

3/4 the way up the bubble tips about 280s

The top bubble tips about 300.

Keep in mind I have NO idea if thats ideal and if anyone has any input on that and if it should be higher or lower please chime in here. I can say my bubbletips colors are really coming back now with these new lights and I love seeing them glow at night.

Ha!

I'll have to try it this weekend some time.

Ok, just got around to doing this now with my favorite time of day when it's just the royal blue and whites channels on. I set the back up just royal blue and the front normal schedule.

It was different. Can't say I loved it but didn't hate it. Almost seemed like if you were out on the water or a really big open field and looked across the sky just after the sun went down and its still light but turn around and its dark. So, like the sun setting? But different.

Definitely more shimmer got highlighted.

A friend has 2 AI Hydra 26's for sale and I'm considering buying them to try behind my Photon V2. Jason, your description of the look really didn't convince me to move forward with the idea, but it didn't discourage me either! LOL! $200 for 2 of them that are 1 year old is a good deal, but he hung them and I need a gooseneck for each at $65 each or to make diy legs like the Photon V2. Still debating.

Back