Hello, Geezer coming back to this forum. Paul B

It looks like you have 3 pages of the thing. I won't publish the entire book because frankly I would probably be embarassed of some of the stupid things I did. :oops:

At the beginning of my log book I started writing a book about the different fish and how to keep them. Remember at that time, in 1971 no one kept salt fish so whenever I got a fish, and kept it alive for a while, I wrote about it and drew pictures of the fish. :)

There were also no computers or cell phones so no cell phone camera's. I had to print the book. Of course this was in the very beginning of the hobby when hardly anyone knew what these fish were and no one saw them in person unless you dove.

First fish book.jpg

Fish book copperband.jpg

It looks like my last entry to my Log book was 1996. It is mostly what I had in the tank, how long they lived and what, if anything I did to feed them and keep them alive.

I see something interesting I logged in 1977. I bought a yellow tang on Roosevelt Ave. in Queens NY for $7.00 and two percula clowns for $3.00 each

I also found some notes . Apparently my French angelfish got HLLE and at that time, no one knew anything about it so I experimented.
This must have been in the early 70s

Fish Log notes.jpg

So early this morning I took a walk on the beach to see the sunrise.
Sunrise.jpg
Sunrise.jpg

As I walked down the 176 steps I notice something laying on the sand. :astonished-face:

Beach stairs.jpg
Beach stairs.jpg

(this is only the first 100 steps, the rest are on top of the hill. Then there is about 200 more steps up a wooden ramp on the dunes)

It looks like a seal or sea lion. I am involved in this rescue sea turtle, whale, seal thing so I had to go and investigate.

As I walked I was hoping it wasn't a whale because I am not as young as I used to be and would have trouble carrying a whale up those stairs. :confused:

I got closer and closer until I saw it was a sea lion.
I creeped up so as not to scare the creature that I assumed accidentally heard Rap music from one of the sail boats and was trying to kill himself.

I got real close, and saw. That my sea lion was a rock. But it sure looks like a seal don't it? :)
Sea Lion.jpg
Sea Lion.jpg

I just got this cool bathtub for my wife. It has a door for her to get in and it is very deep. There is a seat in it and a shower. It also has a UV light I guess so you don't get any ick. It has heat, bubbles and Jacuzzi jets

Now I just have to break out the old tub and install the thing. It's 350 lbs.

Tub.jpg

have you ever been to that coral state park in the keys? im considering asking my grandma if we can snorkel there as a day trip from our week trip to marathon inside our 2 week trip to tampa. we were originally going to go to fort jefferson but my grandma heard key west is bad so we cancelled going to key west and we are doing the original plan of going to marathon so i am going to suggest we go to the coral state park to snorkel also. i might just jump off the seawall and swim in the ocean with a snorkel and pretend that i am looking at a coral reef.

have you ever been to that coral state park in the keys? im considering asking my grandma if we can snorkel there as a day trip from our week trip to marathon inside our 2 week trip to tampa. we were originally going to go to fort jefferson but my grandma heard key west is bad so we cancelled going to key west and we are doing the original plan of going to marathon so i am going to suggest we go to the coral state park to snorkel also. i might just jump off the seawall and swim in the ocean with a snorkel and pretend that i am looking at a coral reef.
I know you directed this to Paul, but my wife and I were in Key Largo the end of March and snorkeled in Pennekamp State Park. It was very nice, would be worth the trip IMO.

Last edited:
I know you directed this to Paul, but my wife and I were in Key Largo the end of March and snorkeled in Pennecamp State Park. It was very nice, would be worth the trip IMO.
how much was it? do you need a boat to get out there are there some areas where you can get there on a beach?

One other thing, you might want to book it in advance if you're going to do it. We had a hard time getting reservations and couldn't get a reservation for diving at all, so we settled on snorkeling.

I was going to go to the VA but I figured they would have used expired 105 Howitzer shells for that and I didn't know if they would have been able to get all the gunpowder off of it.

We have a VA right near here but I only go there for the PX. Unfortunately most of the stuff they sell in there is from China or Viet Nam so I can't buy it. :( I generally only buy American if possible. Which is very hard. :unsure:

This was in Key Largo by a mangrove Island.

These are also there.

This one I went there to jump in the water with my Swing Arm hydrometer to calibrate it. Wherever the arm floated, I marked it with a permanent marker and that is the thing I still use :p

Last edited:
I still use a swing arm hydrometer myself. I never thought about taking it to the ocean and calibrating it, LOL.
Kudoes to Paul to figure a new way.

@Paul B who is the super model in the picture with you. 🤗

Dawn,
When I purchase livestock from LFS, I have them write specific gravity of water in bag. Then I calibrate swing arm and refractometer at home.

Back