Help!!! Dead Nassarius snails!!!

fish clown

I bought 12 Nassarius snails from blue zoo aquatics a little less than a two months ago but I noticed today that almost all of them are dead! At that same time I bought asters snails and cerith but they are all doing great exept one dead Astraea. I have some hermits and my first guess won't be that they did it but wanted to see what you guys thought. My nitrate, nitrite and ammonia are all zero.

What fish do you have in your tank?

A true perc clown, 2 Banggai cardinals, royal gramma, and I got rid of a flame angel a few days ago that I had about two months. A side note is I also had a firefish and added a sixline wrasse around three weeks ago and I saw the firefish dead in the tank a few days later (it wasnt dead long by the looks of it when I pulled it out). I haven't seen the wrasse since around that time either so I'm assuming it has died.

Were they the Onyx variety? I have done some reading that suggests those are a colder water species and tend not to do well in a reef environment. I had some in a cuc package. All but one died.

OH yeah, if in fact they are the mentioned "onyx"they really are Ilyanassa Obsoleta, not true nassarius. They tend to carry parasites as well.

Doesn't sound like you have any fish that would be killing them. Unless the 6 line is still alive and knocking them off. Dunno if those do that, but some Melanurus will.

We put 5 in our 55 when it was first cycled and none of them lived longer than a few months. All our other snails were fine, too. Never got much benefit from them so we never replaced them. Maybe the sandbed/tank isn't mature enough yet. I never had any problem with them surviving in older tanks in the past.

Well maybe the wrasse did knock them out. I read about it and it said they will eat snails that can fit in there mouth. I haven't seen the wrasse since a day after I put it in. I changed my sand bed around 6 months ago so maybe it its 100% established yet?

Back