Help DIY lid for 20g cube

ninersrule1

I have a beautiful rimless 20g cube that the wife keeps asking where is the lid for it.... I guess I'll need it anyways for fish jumping and inverts.

Do you recommend glass or acrylic lid, or screen lid?

I know all about heat, gas exchange etc. thinking of keeping the AIO filtration without a lid but just the display area with lid??

Anyone have suggestions?

It's either 17.75 x 14 or 17.75 x 17.75 .

How much PAR do glass or plexi lids block? I know screens aren't very minimal.

Thanks.

I have a beautiful rimless 20g cube that the wife keeps asking where is the lid for it.... I guess I’ll need it anyways for fish jumping and inverts.

Do you recommend glass or acrylic lid, or screen lid?

I know all about heat, gas exchange etc. thinking of keeping the AIO filtration without a lid but just the display area with lid??

Anyone have suggestions?

It’s either 17.75 x 14 or 17.75 x 17.75 .

How much PAR do glass or plexi lids block? I know screens aren’t very minimal.

Thanks.

Glass/plastic cut about 10% of the light.
CLEAR screen is about the same.. BLACK screen cuts more ..around 20%
Depends on the mesh size Can be significant w/ like black window screen

Numbers vary.
Black eggcrate reduced light intensity by 20%, while the white by only 12%.
Glass: I used a glass cover made for an aquarium, maybe 1/8” to 3/16”. Light intensity was reduced by 12%. Bear in mind glass will often transmit ultraviolet radiation. Not much of an issue if you’re using LEDs, but could be if you’re using a metal halide lamp.
Acrylic (thin and thick pieces): Light reduced by 12%. Acrylic will absorb UV and will eventually yellow and possibly disintegrate (if it is thin.)
Fiberglass window screen material: Reduced light by 44%.

Last edited:
You can go to a local plastic cut place and ask them to cut it for you. But remember to make some holes for air to move. Cause plastic bend when is warm.

clearviewlids

clearviewlids

check clearviewlids.com. i have one of theirs on order for my red sea 170. pricey and take 2-3 months lead time, but they are well thought out and engineered.

gary

Back