Help eliminate microbubbles from fuge/sump combo

banzai75x

My sump/fuge is setup as this. Its 30" x 16 x 16

Drain ||| Return | Fuge (| = Baffle)

The Fuge section has a baffle that is about 14" tall with overflow teeth cut into it. I'm getting bubbles from the water that is coming off the fuge back into the return section.

The Fuge is plumbed through by my return pump partially. I have a slow flow in there. The flow is slow enough so water is just cascading down the side of the baffle but since the return pump water level is so low (about 7") then I'm still getting bubbles.

This is a brand new setup so maybe a break in is required? I'm not sure. I know others must have the same type of setup. Any help would be appreciated.

what kind of return pump are you using? i have had the ceramic shaft in my mag pump break and it caused air bubbles in the display tank

Could you raise the return water height? I know that helped with mine when i had a similar issue. Now instead of the water being a curtain going along the baffle down it instead is a sheet that gets spread across the top mostly. Bubbles from that disappeared as soon as i did it.

Let it break in...as soon as the Bacteria coat the plumbing, then track down the microbubbles that are left. (If any).

what kind of return pump are you using? i have had the ceramic shaft in my mag pump break and it caused air bubbles in the display tank

I am using a Tunze Silence 1073.040

Could you raise the return water height? I know that helped with mine when i had a similar issue. Now instead of the water being a curtain going along the baffle down it instead is a sheet that gets spread across the top mostly. Bubbles from that disappeared as soon as i did it.

I raised the water height in the return chamber an inch to see if that helps.

Here are some pictures.

I'm getting a lot of microbubbles from the skimmer right now too but that is breaking in as well. But I do see microbubbles coming in from the fuge section after the cascading effect.

hrmm you can try a filter sock on the skimmer return if its on the drop in from the fuge you can try and put some phosphate free media in the waters path like a good porus foam to take them out

Seems like you can raise the water level in the return chamber another inch or two.

They are right after looking closer your return pump is way too shallow the bubble trap baffles should be way higher then they are the water is spilling into the return chamber from a tall height from the fuge and the splash is bringing air into your return pump which is creating the problem

Thanks. I will try raising the water level in the return chamber a bit. Also, I know there are microbubbles coming from the skimmer right now. That is breaking in so I'm hoping those get eliminated after a few weeks on its own.

Back