help frog spawn bleaching

Please post your water parameters......Salinity, Nitrates, PH,....ect...ect....We need this info to help you

We'll need more info.
How much light have you got?
How close is the coral to the light?
How long has it been in the tank?
What is the coral doing exactly...how is it "looking bad"?
What are your water params (temp, sg, alk, calc, & pH would be esecially helpful).
How old is the tank?
How much water flow?
etc.
Mariner

sal-24 ammonia-0 nitrates-0 nitrites-0 ph-8.4 every thing else in the tank is great had it up bout 8 months six fish shrums, leathers, zoas, nem, xenia, montipora and feather duster I know my lighting is a little light 4-65 watt pc's but the monti nem and frog are all bout three inches from top of water

IMO.....to close to the lights. Move them down.

All my frog & other corles are middle to lower in the water. They are all good. Oh, I have a maze brain a few inches from the water line, I have moved him a few times & it seems thats where he likes it best. He is even now attaching & spreading on to the other rock....thats a good thing. Try moving them down for a week & see how they are....I will bet that is the problem.

You should have around 5 watts of light per gallon. You have 260 watts in a 20 gallon...thats 13 watts per gallon. To me....thats cooking the corals

Off hand, it might be a little close to the light, especially since it's trying to acclimate. Frogspawn doesn't require a lot of light anyway.
How does it look? If it's just that the polyps are retracted, that would be pretty normal for an LPS in a new system. If it's truly bleaching (losing color, looking white) I'd move it lower, away from the light.
HTH,
Mariner

sorry its in a 75 gal tank dont know if that makes much difference in them being to close to the light but I thought they needed to be close my monti loves it there i will do that

The euphylia paradivisa (frogspawn) likes light. It will tolerate a range of lighting but mine do well in high light areas. I doubt light is the problem since you are using only230w of pc lighting on a 75 g. I think watts per gallon guidlelines are mostly useless. Just to be sure, though, what kind of light di your lfs have it under?

If it is closed it could be infected or in too much current. Had it been at the lfs for a while or did it just ship in? They sometimes ship very poorly. Why do you think it is bleaching?

Avoid the temptation to move it around alot . That will kill it since it needs to use alot of energy to adjust to each new set of conditions.

A little off topic but I have a 75 and have the same lighting as you do also 4*65 pc. What kind of corals do you have under them? In mine I have a hammer,some ricordia,shrooms, and zoas.....

hmmmm.....a monti and a frogspawn......hope they arent too close.

move frog down to bottom and then week later move to middle and then week later move to top. whats the waterflow like? and keep it away from your monti, unless you like bleached montis

BurntOutReefer,

Just woundering.......Your current tanks are 5 3000 gallon tanks...???

Thats 15,000 gallons of water & 120,000 pounds..... What kind of office do you have. What kinda floor is under th sub floor

have you ever used chemiclean? That can cause some Euphyllia (torch, frogspawn, etc) to bleach.

I had a head of brown torch randomly bleach on me for no reason. Still dont know why, is 99% clear/white

Frog is particularly sensitive to variations in alkalinity: keep it between 8.3 and 9.3 DKH. And it needs to be on the bottom of your tank to start with and slowly raised higher. Torch is pretty tolerant of high light; so is hammer. Frog is a bit touchier.

thanks guys for the help he is slowly melting on piece at a time my flow is 1250gal per hour for magga pie my stock list is towards the top of the page don't know why it's dying my LFS had it for a while and trust them very much they've been in the game for a long time and have helped me out every step of the way they had it under vho's

Back