Help identifying algae

kartz09

Hi everyone, I've had my 75gal tank up and running for little over a month now, live rock, live sand. I had a lot of diatom break out about two weeks ago and now as it's slowly disappearing, this has started to grow. Any ideas? I have a small clean up crew, 4-5 small crabs, 2 conchs, and 5 snails with two clowns in the tank.

Thanks for the help!

f1a09138470dbb907f607aaf0fc7ce62.jpg
2aa8fda1910dc495715058569b1a57bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd call that 'new tank algae'. Like the dawn of life on this planet, your tank is starting up with the bottom of the food chain. It's good!

Obviously, you don't want it to completely take over. As for crew, pick a horse-snails or hermits. Either works well, until you add fish food. Then the hermits get a taste for it and become less effective algae consumers. Plus they kill snails, which are better algae consumers. I recommend reproducing snails, like Ceriths.

Good luck with the new tank and welcome to RC!

I'd call that 'new tank algae'. Like the dawn of life on this planet, your tank is starting up with the bottom of the food chain. It's good!

Obviously, you don't want it to completely take over. As for crew, pick a horse-snails or hermits. Either works well, until you add fish food. Then the hermits get a taste for it and become less effective algae consumers. Plus they kill snails, which are better algae consumers. I recommend reproducing snails, like Ceriths.

Good luck with the new tank and welcome to RC!

Thanks so much Micheal, I really appreciate it! I'll look into getting some Ceriths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back