Help me get my two spot blenny to eat

reefer1024

I just picked up a tiny Two Spot Blenny (Ecsenius Bimaculatus). He is very skinny and I doubt he has eaten anything since he was collected. He still looked very alert so I decided to take my chances on him.

Well he must have been starving because as soon as I put him in the tank he went straight to the nearest piece of live rock and started to munch on it. It looks as though he is trying to scrape algae off of it. The problem is my tank does not have much algae to feed him and he has completely ignored everything I have tried to feed him. I have tired Cyclopeeze, flake food, scallop and brine shrimp.

Any suggestions on what I can do to fatten him up. I fear my live rock will not sustain him.

Keep your lights on longer for a while if that dosen't work i'm sure your lfs will trade out a small rock that is covered in alge... good luck sweet fish

wow I am better at growing algae then I thought. Some flake food + 16 hours of light and I have algea/ cyano and diatoms all over the place.

Good news is the blenny has put on a little bit of weight and is pooping a whole bunch. I think he will pull through.

Last edited:
Great news! If you do need to supplement his diet with nori, try rubberbanding some to a rock. He might be reluctant to find it on a clip.

I have a two-spot blenny for almost a year and although he will eat most anything, flake is his favorite, esp spectrum flakes. Crush the flakes up to really small peices and try that. I mean small, these blennies cant chew their food and cant eat anything that they just cant swallow whole. Mine wont touch nori or anything that does not have a meaty base. Good luck, once settled in you will love the little guy.

that was exactly the kind of response I was looking for. Thanks Mark. I have tried really small crushed flakes but he does not give them a second look. Hopefully he will catch on when he sees the other fish eat it.

I have never kept a blenny of any type. I must say I have been missing out. I love how he watches me with his little frog eyes.

Back