What's up with my Purple tang

ralph82396

Hi all,

So on Saturday I picked up a purple tang, I had the LFS quarantine him for the last 30 days and all looked fine except he was a bit thin, I added him to the DT and hes just not eating the amount I would like, I know he needs to acclimate to the tank but In my 10+ years in the hobby I've noticed that tangs are usually out and about in a couple of hours and eating like champs especially Zebrasomas. he picks at the air and at the sand but ignores meaty foods and Nori, I took an 8 inch string of colupera from my fuge and clipped it to a nori clip to give it a "natural" feel and he picked at it once or twice but not enough that I would call it eating. He is by far the biggest fish in my 180 gallon DT. I feed 4 times a day and have nori present 24/7. I felt he may have some vision impairment causing him to pick at the open water when nothing was there so i put my hand to the glass on both sides of the fish and he flared his fins so vision is fine. He just hangs out in a cave and comes out every now and then, all other fish are built like Lizzo so I would call them healthy, The purples stomach is pinched and I'm not sure hoe long he can go in those conditions. He's not getting picked on by anything. Should I be worried or just keep waiting?

tank mates:

sailfin tang
blue hippo tang
orange shoulder tang
2 maroon clowns
evansi anthias
2 sergeant majors
flasher wrasse
Lawnmower Blenny

Parameters:

Nitrate 5
Phos .03
Alk 9 dkh
Mag 1380
Calc 390
ph 8.2
Ammonia/nitrite 0

Have you tried any supplements like Selcon or other vitamins to try to entice feeding?

I can’t find it but I know @leebca had a nutrition post I thought was sticky. That may help but I gotta jump off right now

Perhaps some nori.
You can get it in most grocery stores. The sheets for sushi. Organic roasted seaweed. It should be a staple food for tangs.
Avoid flavored kinds.

Perhaps some nori.
You can get it in most grocery stores. The sheets for sushi. Organic roasted seaweed. It should be a staple food for tangs.
Avoid flavored kinds.
They have Nori 24/7 I added some more colupera into the DT and hes picking at it but totally ignoring the Nori

The last thing you can try would be live food. It would be almost impossible to get it to a timid fish in a mixed tank.

Hi all,

So on Saturday I picked up a purple tang, I had the LFS quarantine him for the last 30 days and all looked fine except he was a bit thin, I added him to the DT and hes just not eating the amount I would like, I know he needs to acclimate to the tank but In my 10+ years in the hobby I've noticed that tangs are usually out and about in a couple of hours and eating like champs especially Zebrasomas. he picks at the air and at the sand but ignores meaty foods and Nori, I took an 8 inch string of colupera from my fuge and clipped it to a nori clip to give it a "natural" feel and he picked at it once or twice but not enough that I would call it eating. He is by far the biggest fish in my 180 gallon DT. I feed 4 times a day and have nori present 24/7. I felt he may have some vision impairment causing him to pick at the open water when nothing was there so i put my hand to the glass on both sides of the fish and he flared his fins so vision is fine. He just hangs out in a cave and comes out every now and then, all other fish are built like Lizzo so I would call them healthy, The purples stomach is pinched and I'm not sure hoe long he can go in those conditions. He's not getting picked on by anything. Should I be worried or just keep waiting?

tank mates:

sailfin tang
blue hippo tang
orange shoulder tang
2 maroon clowns
evansi anthias
2 sergeant majors
flasher wrasse
Lawnmower Blenny

Parameters:

Nitrate 5
Phos .03
Alk 9 dkh
Mag 1380
Calc 390
ph 8.2
Ammonia/nitrite 0
I recommend keeping him in QT until he fattens up and his appetite drastically increases before moving him into a display tank. Try feeding him mysis shrimp also. Also, break up the nori by rubbing it between your thumb and fingers in the tank. It should cause him to eat the small pieces of nori floating in the water column. I’ve been keeping tangs for 35+ years, so I have a bit of experience with them. :).

Back