HELP need it fast

Moonstream

I need to set up a new tank and fast. on friday I am leaving for 3 weeks and will be doing a small water change, as well as setting up a new tank to hold my mis behaving shrimp and the snails that may be munching on my corals. I need to set it up quick, and was wondering if tap water would be okay? I know its a bad source, but my main tank was set up using tap water and its doing fine, maybe some excess algae, but still fine. its either that or spring water. oh, and tank is 5 gallons, is that okay to use for a tank for 2 bumble bee snails, and a pepermint shrimp, along w/ a cleaner shrimp? I will also have a powerhead and a few pounds of LR in it.

I dont think your bumble bee snails or peppermint shrimp or your cleaner shrimp are nipping at your corals....

I hope you will have someone around to add top off water for the next 3 weeks..

Im sorry but i think if you set a new tank up in a rush and through the inverts in there you will loose all of them.

well what else could be? the only other things in the tank is 2 hermits and an astrea snail. the hermits are very peaceful too, never even looking at the other inhabitants. I really do think its the pepermint shrimp.

What kind of corals are we talking about being munched? All of the animals you just mentioned are part of a clean up crew and should not be doing any damage to any corals...

If your talking about zoos, it could be zoo eating Nudis, it could be something in your rock.... what exactly are you seeing happen to your corals?

well, pepers sometimes do get aggressive and attack coral. dont think it was the skunk cleaner, also bumble bee snails are preditory conches (that happen to look really cute and only grow to 1") and tho they normally eat things like pods I thought that maybe they might have turned and become vicious but cute killer snails.

the coral is shrooms (mushrooms). they are getting paler and are always stressed. I did see the pepermint shrimp messing w/ them, and he is always near them, like 24/7. the zoos I have are doing fine, and they are at the other side of the tank. I just swapped the corals around a little, the shroom (folowed by the shrimp) is now where the largest zoo colony was.

I would leave the livestock in the tank. If your mushrooms are getting too pale, either water quality isn't what it should be ( you mentioned tap water) or your lighting isn't sufficient perhaps.

Who's going to care for the main tank?

parents are caring for the tanks, I dont think its the water, the zoos are doing well, the tank started w/ tap water. could spring water hurt them? I have been using spring water for top offs. the lighting is good, 65 watts of PC. they used to be in a medium-high flow area, at the top of the tank. I have moved them to the other side, just above the bottom. they have been looking especially stressed at night. I moved them to a near stagnant area (just enough water movement to swirl the water).

They are mushrooms. By definition they are nearly indestructible. Where are you located?

Mushrooms close up at night. And fluff up during the daytime. They do like some flow.

65w is rather week for a 29g. My tank had 165w and the mushrooms were prolific for years.

Spring water is okay. Rverse Osmosis water is preferable, sold on the same aisle at the super market. Just read the fine print. Make sure they understand to top off every single day to maintain stable salinity.

My guess is its the "stagnant water"and the 65 watts of light your keeping them under... and i think your peppermint shrimp just likes sitting on them... which may make them shrink up alittle bit but they will come back....

I really think setting up a second tank will cause the loss of some critters....

they have been fine for about a month, then they suddenly started to act weird. I will be upgrading the lighting soon, any ideas on what I should get? also will be using this 29g as a sump, a 20L will take its place as a show tank.

Back