help on salinity

jaylensdad06

Was curious if n e 1 is in the new port richie area would be willing to come over with their refractometer and check my water. I have calibrated mine and even checked it against a local well know lfs for acuracy....and I haven't been able to get my salinity up. When I moved all o had was a hydrometer that told me my fresh water was .025. Come to find out it wasn't and I salinity shocked everything. A big bubble tip. Monti stunner. All of my euphylia. And even 5 or 6 fish. I have been adding .028 fresh salt water as my top off water about 1/2 gallon a day or so. For about a week now and my refractometer still says .022...how long will this take to get back to .025 on a 120 150 total gallon? I don't want to go up to fast but don't want to take 2 months either. Thanks in advance for anysuggestions.

That's a large volume of water to change such a small amount each day. It'd take awhile for sure. If you do biweekly wc I'd up that to 1.025 as well.

I'm with fragaddiction. You'd probably have to bring it up with water changes. For reference when the salinity in my 20G is around 1.024, I do a 2G (10%) water change with 1.027/1.028 saltwater and it usually brings it up right around 1.025. As I'm sure you already know, you'll have to bring it up over a course of several water changes to avoid salinity shock. Hope that helps.

By my rough calculation, you need about 15 gallon of saltwater via ato method. With 1/2 gallon a day, it will take 30 days to reach target salinity.

The old heads would dump a cup of salt in the filter sock every few hours until you are at your desired level.

Salt in the sock is one of those taboo things everyone is afraid to admit but I have seen several respected store owners do it. First thing they say is don't tell anyone you saw me do that. For that reason I will withold names but it is something I have done many times and so has Mike.
Do not dump it all in at once. If you have a 200g system I would say a cup an hour would easily work. Less if you have a smaller tank. If your salinity is really low enough to cause health issues to your tanks inhabitants getting the salinity up in a prompt yet controlled manor is your best bet.

I would still verify you are getting good readings before adjusting too much.

I was asking g if n e 1 is near by Npr with their refractometer to double check the numbers I'm getting.and maybe suggestions on my tank

I don't trust the stores around me..they all use hydrometers. And by the time I get off work all the good stores in faios ..coral corral etc r closed or closing.

Back