Help Please 13 yr. old tank in crisis

Would PhosGaurd or Purigen get me there?

PhosGuard, yes. Purigen, no. I use Rowaphos, which is GFO with good results. PhosGuard is Granulated Aluminum Oxide, which also works. Follow the directions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would consider sending a sample of your water to ICP. They can give you a rundown of what is up with your aquarium.

The only things else I can think to do once you get it sure that a) no test is expired and misreading b) that your incoming water is ok ---is to run a strip of Polypad and SEE if it colors-up as the result of some metal contaminant (it would tell you which); and finally to do a super-big water change, which can sometimes help an old tank perk up---30% the first day, 20% the third day, 20% the fifth day. If anything legitimate has slowly built up to unwanted levels, that might help.

The Acan in the Centre looks more like a Favia to me, but maybe it's just my device.
Are you sure no one around the parameter of the "Acan" is playing war?

Do those big frilly mushrooms expand over top the "Acan" blocking it's light?

You would figure after 13 years, water would be stable, obviously you know what you are doing....

To me, the pic looks like a slow but consistent regression.u

Things can change quickly in small tanks. Temperature and salinity are the two that change the quickest. Have you changed anything that would make temperature swing or has your ATO or top-off method changed?

Temp and salinity are pretty consistent. The mushrooms near the favia (now totally gone) do not cover it or block light. Did a 40% water change 2 days ago, phos was still between .5 and 1 after. Have a 2 fishes 150 reactor coming tomorrow, now wondering what to use in it (PhosGuard, which I have), PhosBan? The amount of algae in the tank has always been an issue, but again I rarely run any kind of filtration and do minimal water changes. Until this issue arose my only concern was that the zoes were going to outgrow the tank and start taking over my house!
Now I have another thought; my lights. It's an aftermarket set up I bought used 8? years ago that uses Rapid LED (cree) parts. It does not look as bright as it used to, although that may be my imagination. Do LED's get dim over time; could my power supplies be getting weak? I know the consensus here is phos but I know my levels have always been high; hence my algae issue.

Back