Help selecting T-5 bulbs

kevin_e

So here is the deal, I want to know what bulbs I should buy for my system. I was leaning towards a Blue Plus and a Coral Plus from ATI, but my system is already pretty blue, but that will likely chnage as I crank my LEDs up slowly through acclimation (I get a whiter color). I want to make sure I cover full spectrum and get great par. I want to shoot for a 14 K look, so would 2 coral plus be better? I can adjust my blue LEDs to compensate, but the biggest thing I want is proper spectrum as I would be devastaed to lose my SPS over inadequate lighting.

Here are the specs:

I have 24 total LEDS on a 6x20 heat sink.

* The light sits 6-8" above the water line.
* The coral are about 13-16" below the light.
* They are mostly SPS coral (mostly Acropora spp. and Montipora spp.)

I have:

8 royal blue (80 degree optics)
4 cool blue (80 degree optics)
4 Neutral white
4 violet
2 cool white
2 cyan

I want to add 2 T-5 units with individual reflectors. Is there a negative to mounting them on the front and back of my canopy of a 45* angle (maybe a 30* angle would be better?)? If I lay them flat, they will be almost directly over the rim, or within a inch or two front and back.

Do you think this will be more than sufficient for my SPS coming from a 250 watt metal halide

http://www.hellolights.com/24-Inch-...archPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

I'd go with a LET retrofit kit from reefgeek and get one blue plus and one coral plus.

Thanks. I already purchased the retrofit kit.

Do you think a combo of those two will be too blue?

No. Corals utilize more blue than anything. Just use your LEDs to fine tune everything. The T5s will provide the needed spectrum.

Thanks!

So this is how I plan to configure this. Thoughts?

The tank is 12" wide, as is the canopy, that's the reason for the angle. If I put the T-5s flat, they would basically spill over the front and back. Should it be 30degrees or 45 degrees?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 0
The angle shouldn't matter too much as long as you can point the reflector towards the tank.

Back