HELP! SWC/MSX Extreme 200 Not working

nabee24

I'm having trouble with my brand new skimmer. I hooked everything up and tested it in the bathtub with 9" of water. The pump is working but fills up 2 inches above the water level of the tub and only make large bubbles. The skimmer does not completely fill with water and no tiny bubbles. I tried adjusting the open/close valve with no difference. What could be wrong with it?

Also, when I change the pump to the mesh impellar, the pump didn't work at all.

Sorry, I can't seem to get my picture any smaller. I'll try to post a picture of my skimmer as soon as I figure it out.

Please help.

Jessica

did you test it in fresh water? if so there won't be any fine bubbles. To adjust the hight in the skimmer, the outlet pipe that sticks up has a wedge on it, turn it towards the "closed" position until it gets to where you want it. You'll want to set it back to the open position when you install it in your sump so it doesn't go crazy and overflow.

As for the mesh impeller, you may have to trim it, what's probably happening is the mesh or zipties are rubbing on the inside of the pump not allowing it to move.

First put the pinwheel back in for a week or two 'till it's broken in. Second, put the skimmer in a bucket/container with a gallon of white vinagar & 4-6 gallons of tap water. Should have plenty of bubbles. Run it overnight & the vinagar will help remove the manufacturing oils & residue.

what about the pump not working when i install the mesh wheel?

The height of the mesh wheel and the other impeller are different, mesh was shorter. Does that matter?

The mesh will likely need to be trimmed. I would save that for another day. The pump is fine.

The MSX pinwheel is a pretty good start. Once you have the skimmer fully broken in & consistant then by playing with the mesh you can definitely make it skim better. But it's tough to know if it's better without a baseline or an air meter. That's why I recommend you wait a couple of weeks.

Back