Help, What am I?! Vlamingi tang or Lopezi tang? Picts of me included...

doin' fin

Mom and Dad bought me at the LFS. They were told I was a "unicorn" tang and would be about 12 inches big. Trying to raise me and make sure my diet was as close to the real thing as possible, they begain to try and id me. They have narrowed it down to the Vlamingi or Lopezi. Please help them in determining which of these I am...

Thanks!
127987id_me_1.JPG

127987id_me_2.JPG

127987id_me_3.JPG

I am the husband/dad in this situation and I love the fish. All the more reason to build the 450gal tank :)

The lfs employee thirds it. I love those little guys, such interesting personality. Ours at the store practically begs to be fed when you walk by.

i also say vlaming and i have seen one of these that is RIDICULOUSLY huge in a LFS display tank here in miami... at least one foot six inches....

Thanks everyone! I guess that settles it, Vlamingi he/she is! We had been talking about getting a larger tank, I guess this just necessitates it. Any ideas on the growth rate? Obviouslyl the 90 isn't going to work for him - so how long do I have?

He does have a great personality. If you are at the tank, you cannot look in without he being right in front of you- all the time. Forget getting a pict of anything without him being in it! My husband was handfeeding him the day we got him in the tank. We have a 15 mo old (as you could tell by the fingerprints on the tank) and a 5 yr. old. The tang loves having them watch him. Not scared a bit and never hides.

Naso vlamingii. The main reason is that this individual is developing a nuchal protuberance (hump) on the end of the head. Naso lopezi does not have this appendage and tends to elongate quite noticeably as it gets older. Think of it this way--you will know after you've had it a while. Also, N. lopezi is much more uncommon in the trade.

Thanks Amphiprion for the info!
How long would you say I have before he runs out of room in my 90? (We are planning on upgrading but need to establish a time line and make plans). It feels like now I can see him growing!

Naso vlamingii. Tangs eat well (be sure and have greens) and process it quickly (be sure you have a good skimmer). You are basically out of room now but you probably have a year before the fish will get stressed out. Remember, it is not gallonage that is the primary issue, it is tank length. Minimum of six feet, preferably eight feet or more feed laterally.

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that they change their color depending on their mood. Fun to see.

It is very important to provide meaty planktonic foods, as well as algae, for this species. They are more like Paracanthurus hepatus in this regard.

I have had mine for about a year now.. Its main diet consists of formula 1 and formula 2 along with occasional sheets of algae. Just make sure you get a strong clip when they get big they like to take rip the clip off. Since I have had it I would say that it has grown about an inch. Its a gorgeous fish and the center piece of my tank.

I have noticed him change color- olive green almost with lateral stirpes. The first time he did totally freaked us out but now we think it is neat. We weren't sure why he does it or what prompts it. Figured it was when he gets upset maybe?

Our 90 is 4ft long so we will begin making plans asap. This big guy is a pet already- can't imagine getting rid of him.

He has quite the appitite- but he doesn't care for the red alge sheets at all, went to green and he will eat it a little. He won't eat it off of a clip though. (Ours looks like nemo so maybe that is the problem.) If you hold it for him or shred it when it goes into the tank he will munch on it. He LOVES to eat the frozen Formula One and Two. Also gets a little of the Formula two pellet and the Prime Reef flakes. We have a skimmer and it does get a work out! He has three tank mates- a PJ cardinal that he pushes around a little, a lawnmower Blenny and a Skunk Cleaner whom he adores (over that way just a bit... right there!)

He loves getting attention. Who says fish aren't smart?!

Back