Help with ozone?

FishPharm

Premium Member
I'm not sure if this is the appropiate forum, but here it goes..... I have a red sea ozonizer controller unit. I purchased the ozonizer, to help rid my 180g of algae and increase water clarity. The controller is set on a timer for 4 hours per day and to shutdown at 400, should the redux exceed this. The ozonizer worked as advertised. Along with a full program of macro in the fuge, carbon, phosban and weekly 10% water changes, now I have pristine water and parameters are great. I do have a question, though. For over a month now, I havenââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t used the ozonizer and kept it off line. Occasionally I power on the unit to get a measure on the redux and it still remains at or near 400. I have a heavy bioload of fish, but not a whole lot of corals as of yet. I figured there would eventually be a drop in redux and that I would need to use ozone. This hasnââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t happened. Has anyone else experienced this and can you explain why the redux hasnââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t dropped off? :confused:

Clean your ORP probe. Most of the time if your probe is not cleaned 3-4 days you will get a higher reading. Use a cup of vinegar soak for 10mins and use a soft toothbrush to clean probe.

FishPharm,

good advice above about reading behavior when probe is dirty, cleaning schedule roughly, I let it go for about a week, but next time try to use Q-tip instead of a toothbrush and 50/50 water/vinegar to clean probe,

info to back this up:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=5953740#post5953740 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nunez1980
if I had to choose which one is more gentle I would choose cotton stick instead of a toothbrush in a flash, which is too rought in comparison,

but want expert advice?

Mike Ross from Senorex, who is the chief designing engineer for pH and ORP probes, been doing it for like 30 years, says NEVER use a tooth brush

Q-tip, if needed and probe cleaner. pH probes 2- 5 % HCl. For ORP probes 600-grit wet silicon carbide sandpaper if needed

or just go here http://www.sensorex.com/ Click on support and then F & Q

Always soak electrodes in chemicals and do not use toothbrush or wire brushes to clean since these will effect electrode performance.

PinPoint does not make any probes so I usually do not take their advice I also do not think they make the meters they sell either

sam

sam

Back