Helping A Friend come up with a stocking list.

Zionas

Hi all, so I have a friend who's a fellow reefer and he currently has an 80 cube but will be upgrading to a 4'x2'x2' soon. That's will give him about 120 gallons to work with. He won't have the space for a 6' tank (125). I am trying to help him come up / refine a stocking list, some of it will be based off of my own preferences but I am also taking into consideration that he'll have a smaller tank than the one I'll have. So far he has:

x2 Ocellaris Clowns

x1 Yellow Tang

x1 Blue Hippo Tang

x1 Powder Brown Tang

x1 Clown Tang

Crazy, I know, I warned him not to keep any Tangs in an 80 cube except a small Yellow but he'd not listen. Instead, he got more Tangs and he's already dealt with ich outbreaks. He even wants to try a Moorish Idol or a couple, hopefully he'll listen.

I'll try to persuade him to give up the Tangs or at most keep at Tomini, but even then I think a Bristletooth does best in a tank 5' or longer.

So far I've come up with two potential stocking plans for his new tank:

Plan A-

x1 Bicolor Blenny

x3 Scissortail Dartfish

x2 Blue Gudgeon Dartfish

x1 Yellow Watchman Goby

x1 another type of shrimp goby

x1 Yellow Coris Wrasse

x1 Melanurus Wrasse

x1 Red Lined Wrasse

x4 Pajama Cardinalfish

x2 Ocellaris Clownfish

x1 Royal Gramma

x1 Swales Basslet

x1 dwarf angel of some kind

Plan B-

x1 Midas Blenny

x1 Yellow Watchman Goby

x1 another type of shrimp goby

x1 Yellow Coris Wrasse

x1 Melanurus Wrasse

x1 Red Lined Wrasse

x4 Pajama Cardinalfish

x2 Ocellaris Clownfish

x4 Lyretail Anthias

x1 Royal Gramma

x1 Swales Basslet

How do either of these lists look? Would the bioload be too heavy for his tank?

Would appreciate advice and suggestions. He's an impulse buyer (oh the horror when I saw him get MORE tangs, AND difficult to keep ones) so I am really trying to help him make a list as realistic as possible (hopefully he'll listen).

Thanks.

is this fish only? seems like going to be a pretty decent bioload, would definitely focus on the nutrient export

No he keeps some GSPs and some other soft corals, a couple of LPS I think, maybe Elegance and some Frogspawn.

Alright how does this look?:

x1 Bicolor / Midas Blenny

x4 PJ Cardinals

x1 Yellow Coris / Melanurus / Red Lined Wrasse

x1 YWG

x1 Orange Spotted / Wheeler’s / Randall’s Goby

x1 Royal Gramma / Black Cap Basslet

x3 Scissortail Dartfish

x2 Ocellaris Clownfish- Captive Bred

x1 Swales Basslet / Swissguard Basslet / Assessor of some kind

Still a bit much for an 80 cube imo. I would cut the angel, royal gramma, and maybe swiss guard. There are some peaceful fish on that list and the clown will stake out one corner. The gramma will want its plot too. I would go with a light load and re-access after the 120 cycles.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It would probably be fine but I would let the tank mature before you reach your "full" list. Go slow. Start with your favorite peacefuls on that list and let the tank mature and stabilize. You may find that you are happy with fewer fish than you thought initially.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back