Here we go with a Reefer 170

Huzie

I have been meaning to start this thread for a couple of weeks but never seemed to get round to it!

So after much deliberation and with my wife we settled (she agreed) the purchase of a Reefer 170 second hand that I found on ebay.. It seemed like a good system, was local to me and had pretty much everything I needed to get started.

Kit list as below

Bubble Magus C5
Aqua one 300w
TMC V2 PowerFlow 4500
2 x Ross mont m 3400
TMC 1500 V2 power pump
Zetlight B100

So after roping a mate in to help me pick it up in his van and 3 flights of stairs to the guys apartment later we headed back to the house to the delight of my kids asking where the fish were!

The tank seemed in good order however a few areas needed some tinkering. I replaced the transparent hoses from the return pump and the Auto top up as there were pretty dirty and the return pump hose was too short which meant the auto top up wouldn't work!

A £170 bill later from Complete aquatics with help from a mate at work who keeps a larger Reefer and I had lots of API test kits, a bobby up and down Hydrometer, some Red Sea Salt, Red Sea Live sand and the Red Sea Marine Mature Pro kit to get this thing up and going in a few weeks!

Clearly this fish tank needed water and I wasn't about to keep heading back to the LFS to pick up water every weekend. I wanted to be self sufficient in this area so looked for an RO unit. In desperate need to try and keep costs down I found a 3 stage unit on Ebay which arrived a couple of days before my Live Rock was due to appear on my front door step! Water making needed to to happen super quickly!

A couple more trips to B&Q resulted in the purchase of 2 x 80L dustbins for water mixing and I set to work.. (once I had figured out how to plumb it in!) man these RO units are slow!!

A bit more Googling to check I was doing things right and plenty of wet socks later I had filled up the first dustbin. But how did I know this RO unit was actually making water that was worthy of my new tank! - enter the TDS tester! I should have ordered this before getting started.. and as soon as it arrived from Amazon I plonked it into my large vat of new water and it kicked out a reading of 18!

Now a few phone calls later to the LFS and to a D&D retailer and I had various stories that told me that anything under 100 was fine.. then someone else said under 10 and another under 5!

So enter confused mode and what the hell to do with this 70 litres or so of water!

A quick trip to the LFS and £50 later resulted in two new filters and a membrane that was a lower rate than mine.. readings without the new membrane came out to around 6. Putting the new membrane in resulted in 26!

The helpful guys at the D&D retailer said I should be fine with the water now coming out at around 6 to get started (anything under 10 being fine) but I should aim for 0. So the 70litres went down the drain and I set to work on a new batch. Knowing full well my live rock was arriving the next day!

Any way a few more wet socks later and I had 2 bins brewing with warm salty water and ready for the rock. (I have since bought a DI resin unit for for the RO unit and now DTS is bang on zero every time.. the spare membrane is sitting in my garage soaking in some water!)

The LR arrived and deemed acceptable once scaped up by my wife!

Next lesson I learnt is that two dustbins of water is very heavy (I clearly knew this just hadn't considered how to get this water up into the tank!) A few more wet floors and socks later and wishing I had bought a pump for this very job I had managed to get the water into the sump and tank with various hoses and jerry cans. The kit was turned on and it was done..

So what did I learn.. ?

I learnt that I could save a bunch doing this second hand but it does come with its stress!

Here are some of my takeaways!

• In the South of the UK it seems the water is hard enough that you need to have some DI resin to get the DTS values to 0
  • A return pump for water changes is going to be required!
  • A spare heater and pump is required to heat up and stir up the new water
  • I need to wear shoes to prevent a constant array of wet socks in the house when playing with this tank
  • A refractometer is needed (see below!)

I started the Red Sea Mature Pro kit the very next day and have been stepping through this.

By day 3 I was fed up with the Bobby hydrometer.. It was just so hard to read so shelled out on a Refractometer and man was I glad I did! After calibrating it and testing the water the salinity was 1.030! I thought it was going to be too low given what the Hydrometer was telling (or not telling me!). I replaced around 13% of the water with fresh (DTS 0!) water and the Refractometer has been reading 1.025 ever since!

I wasn't happy with the Zetlight B100. It had a manual control on it (to change between blue and white) and I had to turn it on and off with a timer so no ramp up and down.

IMG_0294_zpsugxdftpi.jpg

I decided to put my hand in my pocket again (this is the last time right?) and bought a Hydra 26HD and bracket.. this light appears to be awesome and I am hoping it will see me through everything I am going to need.

Day 10 allowed me to add a CUC.. 3 Turbos and 3 red legged hermits. One of the turbos carked it after 24 hours which resulted in me being convinced everything else was doomed and going to die.. turns out he was clearly a dodgy one as the others are still ok now.

I have been testing religiously every day and checking my figures.. I do find the API test kit really hard to read. However I am pretty sure the figures have been coming out fine. The Red Sea Mature Pro kit seems to be doing the job well.

Just purchased a Seneye Reef monitor to help me with my clear dis-talent for checking the similarity of colours on the API test kit.. at least I wont need to test for Ammonia and PH again! Will update more when this arrives in a couple of days.

Yesterday saw the purchase of our first fish.. I was happy the levels were fine. The CUC have been making good progress on the algae growth. To the kids delight two clowns came home with daddy from the LFS. 24 hours later they are still doing fine.. heres hoping that continues!

Congratulations if you got to the bottom of my ramblings.. I hope to post some more (shorter posts) a little more regularly! I am learning loads and really enjoying it.. my wife thinks this is turning into some kind of obsession!

The obsession continues.. the clowns are doing fine (so far!) I have some major no-confidence issue that I wont be able to keep them alive for some reason.. There is probably no substance to this as the water metrics are doing fine.

I am approaching the end of the Red Sea Mature pro kit plan.. no idea what I am going to follow after that!

Over the last few days more hair algae and diatoms have been growing. I understand this is normal but its stressing me out somewhat. I have set my Hydra lights onto acclimation mode for the next 2 weeks starting at 80% reduction. I figured there are no corals in there at the moment so less light will hopefully result in less algae. Everything I have read says the algae is part of the cycle and should reduce in the next week or so?

I am planning on setting up my Bubble Magus reactor tomorrow with some carbon (its just sat in my sump in a media bag at the moment)

Feel like I also need some better CUC for my sand.. I never see the hermits and the snails just stay on the rock or the side of tank. Any suggestions?!

Some update photos below.. really hard to get a shot of the clowns!

Diatoms on the sand (sorry its blue but the light was ramping down)

Also having a major stress out that I have too much rock in the tank. I ordered 20Kgs and am concerned I might not be getting the circulation required. I replaced one of my powerheads with a Jebao SW-4 which is very small and neat in the vain hope it would allow the clowns to swim better and push the water around!

2nd 5% water change will happen tomorrow.. perhaps some more CUC at the weekend.. any suggestions?!

Just managed to get a photo of the clowns but they have me worried.. they appear to sit on the bottom of the tank in the corner. I hope they are resting and this isnt the start of something bad.. any one seen this before?

A quick update.. the clowns are fine. They are crazy little chaps and this is apparently how they sleep!

So an update since last time

All going well. I changed my API test kits for the a red Sea ones as they are far more accurate. I just couldn't get the detailed readings a wanted from the API kit

The Red Sea reef mature pro kit is finished.. and I have also purchased the Red Sea Reef foundation program. The plan is to get my levels up to the right spec before adding corals

As I have to add the Red Sea No3 Po4-X every day to control Nitrate and Phos I also jumped on eBay and got a TMC-Easi dose unit to dose the No pox and the FoundationABC elements

I learnt from a very helpful Kevin at Red Sea that to get accurate reading from the Red Sea test kits you must ensure that you wash the viles out with Ciric acid after every use. My magnesium readings where all over the shop. Hopefully this will resolve that!

Since the last update my readings have been great. 0 ammonia and nitrite and I am now down to 0.5 Nitrate.

New additions are a cleaner shrimp and 3 x Green Chromis. Am going to wait until the new year before adding any more fish now. However might get a few coral frags to get the rock looking a little more interesting.

Best purchase this month? A water change pump!! Works great and far less wet feet and less sucking on tubes!!

Some photos below as an update over the last couple of weeks

ae78fb0ff127bd6757b4e7bdabd65750.jpg

71e325d2371bc7b3042e542e109c9bfa.jpg

63e187bf9e8bb702a09538dee2388aed.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Diatoms and Cyno bacteria also now appears to be reducing.. which I assume is due to the lower nitrates

Good news!

80719a05d9366e13905fa1be0eaf2238.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The tank is looking good! I love those Red Sea Reefer tanks, so modern and clean looking. Plus Red Sea is just a fantastic company.

The tank is looking good! I love those Red Sea Reefer tanks, so modern and clean looking. Plus Red Sea is just a fantastic company.

Thanks I think we are getting there! I agree they have been great support so far and I do love the look of the tanks

Setup the dosing machine now although there is a very slow drip from the 1st pump I have setup that results in around 1ml per 24hours. Not sure if this is normal or if I just need to adjust my dosing levels to take it into account

Learn learn learn!

Back