High nitrate

Miky B

I have an established tank.I have a skimmer, algae scrubber, bio pellet reactor, Chaeto reactor, Only fish. I use RO water. I have suddenly found I have an algae issue and my nitrate level has got out of control. Nitrite is 0, Ammonia is 0 BUT Nitrate is 160ppm..HELP!

That's very hig, although fish won't care. I'd get a second opinion on the test kit, if that's easy to do, and check the feeding levels. How much live rock is in the system and what is the stocking level?

Are u running biopellets???? I had high nitrates for years and biopellets was the only thing that lowered them but it took months to see results.

What test kit are you using to get 160? Algae issue is related to phosphate. How is the algae scrubber doing? It pull out lots of algae?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I am using 2 test kits..API Reef Master Kit and Api Salt Water Master Test kit for Phosphate/Nitrite/Nitrate/Ammonia/Ph/Calcium etc. etc..I only have 6 fish in a 4ft tank..plenty of live rock and snails etc..I do not overfeed and I am at a loss..I have a bio pellet reactor/sump/algae scrubber/Chaeto reactor and I still have this drama....

Are u running biopellets???? I had high nitrates for years and biopellets was the only thing that lowered them but it took months to see results.
I am using 2 test kits..API Reef Master Kit and Api Salt Water Master Test kit for Phosphate/Nitrite/Nitrate/Ammonia/Ph/Calcium etc. etc..I only have 6 fish in a 4ft tank..plenty of live rock and snails etc..I do not overfeed and I am at a loss..I have a bio pellet reactor/sump/algae scrubber/Chaeto reactor and I still have this drama....

What test kit are you using to get 160? Algae issue is related to phosphate. How is the algae scrubber doing? It pull out lots of algae?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I am using 2..Api Reef Master and Salt water master test kits.

Yes bio pellet reactor and skimmer and scrubber and sump and Chaeto reactor

If you are getting the same results from two test kits, it's more likely that the results are correct. I might check the feeding levels.

Sometimes, the substrate in a tank can accumulate enough debris to produce a lot of nitrate. I had to throw away a lot of crushed coral and coarser sand for that reason. Anything that will trap detritus can cause this issue.

Back