Hitchhiker Crab ID???

bimmer88

Anyone know what kind of crab this is??? I've recently noticed some of my acros receding at the base in a part of my tank... only in a small part of my tank... acros in other parts of the tank are doing well... just tonight while lights were off i was browsing around with a flashlight and caught this guy!! I'm suspecting he might be the culprit behind my receding acros... Not sure how he got in my tank or how long he's been there. I've never seen the guy before... i think he's nocturnal... never seen him around with the lights on.. he's black with white hair all over his legs.... anyone know what kind of crab this is????

Attachments

• IMG_0542.jpg
    IMG_0542.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I dont put crabs in my tank. No hermits or other ones. Like Anthony said they are opportunistic and would even take food out of corals.

Same here. I worked at a LFS while attending High School and most of the customers who put sally light foots and emerald crabs in there tanks ended up regretting it. I've probably handled more crabs than your average hobbyist and I've seen them munch on zoas, millies, and other various corals. In my experience, I would not risk adding crabs to a reef tank even though they are categorized as reef safe. The only except for me would be certain species of hermit crabs.

:thumbsup:
I don't know what type of crab it is but I always remove any crab that is hairy just to be on the safe side.

I couldn't figure out why my zoas seemed to always wither away. Decided to pull my emerald crab out just in case. A week later my zoas started coming back... steady growth ever since.

Back