Hitchhiker ID

Jean Corcoran

Hello! Can anyone identify this critter. It is about an inch and a half long and comes out at night when lights are out. It's been in my tank a couple of months and seems to be growing. Thanks
id1.JPG

Hi -- I can give you a likely ID for your creature. It is probably a Scutus sp., but without additional photos or more information I can't tell you for sure. Scutus are herbivore limpets that very lucky people get as hitchhikers on live rock. They have a white shell that is often covered by their black mantle and a white foot. I think they are beautiful. They often come out at night and seem to go back to a "home" area during the day, like other limpets.

This site has a lot of good info about Scutus. If, for whatever reason you would decide you wouldn't want to keep your Scutus, I would pay to have it shipped to me (if you are in the US.) But they are good animals; there is no reason to get rid of them.

http://www.seaslugforum.net/showall.cfm?base=scutus

I'm sure Elysia is right, it's a Scutus species. I've never seen one that looked exactly like yours, though. Nice photo.

Cheers,

Don

I just found those in my tank and was looking to find out what they were also. Glad to hear they are good. Seems like everything I usually find causes problems.

Cool pic, I'm glad I found out the name of these guys as I've had them before and they are great in the tank but I never knew the name of them.

Back