Holding fish?

sevenyearnight

It's about 4:30 am, so I apologize for this is question, but there is a highly reputable marine store, locally owned, and they post photographs of their livestock on Facebook. It's hard to tell if the fish are under water, in a photography box, or in open air, but it looks like they are holding the fish. And the seastars, etc. Like holding them in their bare hands. My first question is, is it ok or normal to hold a fish? It seems like it would be exceptionally stressful, and maybe the hands might have some residue from something.
My second question, why are the fish just chilling like "Yep, I'm being held and I'm ok with this." Is it just a lucky shot taken in between desperate flailing?

I don't think I've ever seen a picture of a fish for sale on line in someone's hands. Most photos are taken in tank, or an acclimation box which is fine too.

Most of the photos you see of "common fish" are stock photos and not the fish that you will actually receive if you order. But rare fish from Divers Den for example are often labeled WYSIWYG and the buyer will get that fish.

There are a couple stores that make a habit of doing that. Specifically pacific island aquatics, which is a pretty highly regarded store.

i've seen it online and at my lfs. my lfs does it because (he says) it is a faster way of identifying disease and malnutrition than trying to observe it in tank. he always goes it about 1" above a bucket, with a little bit of water in his hand, fish lying on its side.
weird thing is, every time i have seen it (a bunch) the fish never squirm, they just lay there.

Some fish are used to being handled. They usually have the fish out of water for just a few seconds with a second person to snap the photo. Some like seeing the fish like that see the various patterns and coloration and to show WYSIWYG. I am pretty sure it is stressful though.

I am pretty sure it is stressful though.

It is. Fish have a definite cortisol (stress hormone) response to such handling. Lifting a fish out of the water, even briefly, is akin to someone holding your head under water ;)

People who breed fish in a pond will take pictures out of water. This is because it's hard to get a side picture of the fish. Even wild caught fish are photographed like this to. Sometimes venders will post pictures of fish before they are imported and you can see the collecting gear in the background. I don't really see it that often in saltwater, I see it a lot with cichlids. A lot of times they will leave the net and fish in the water and lift it to the surface.

In addition to what other people said about it stressing out the oils on our hands are also not good for the fish.

Just to make sure this is clarified, the fish are most certainly underwater, they are not being exposed to the air at all. They are not exactly even being held, just hovering above the hand, underwater.

Might just be to get a little more contrast in the pic and make it easier to see the outline of the fish in the photo.

Can you post some of these pictures?

No, as I am not the owner of these pictures. But the fish are not out of the water, and aren't really in direct contact with the hand. I'm satisfied with the explanation of the photography. They are in a darkened acclimation container, and instead of scooping them out and putting them into a photography box, they prefer to just photograph them underwater near the surface. Evidently a common practice that I just had never personally seen.

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 2
No, as I am not the owner of these pictures. But the fish are not out of the water, and aren't really in direct contact with the hand. I'm satisfied with the explanation of the photography. They are in a darkened acclimation container, and instead of scooping them out and putting them into a photography box, they prefer to just photograph them underwater near the surface. Evidently a common practice that I just had never personally seen.

I have nothing against the practice. I think it is better then moving them into another tank to take a picture. It was just out of curiosity after having a conversation about.

I agree, the transfer process to another container to be photographed seems like it would be more stressful than just keeping them in the acclimation unit.
It was just a really strange thing to see, and it was odd mostly because they didn't at all appear to be distressed by the hand under them. My main concerns were about them being still underwater, which they were, and that it wasn't like they were chasing them frantically around a display tank and finally getting them after being exhausted. They were just chilling in the acclimation containers waiting to be transferred.

I always hand place my fish from the bucket to the quarantine tank then to the display tank, I've never had a problem...... Well except for my niger trigger I used to have, he bit me from the bucket to the qt but not to the dt

I always hand place my fish from the bucket to the quarantine tank then to the display tank, I've never had a problem...... Well except for my niger trigger I used to have, he bit me from the bucket to the qt but not to the dt

me too...

I don't think I've ever seen a picture of a fish for sale on line in someone's hands. Most photos are taken in tank, or an acclimation box which is fine too.

Most of the photos you see of "common fish" are stock photos and not the fish that you will actually receive if you order. But rare fish from Divers Den for example are often labeled WYSIWYG and the buyer will get that fish.
u havet see ebay pics.i wouldnt do it buy there there to sell them so i see why they wouldhard to get a good pick in the tank swimming

Back