hole on side of damsel fish

Mickey13

1. How old is this aquarium?

8 weeks

2. If less than six months old, what is ammonia level?

<0.25 ppm

3. What is SG of this aquarium? How measured?

salinity is 1.026 temp is 78
measured with floating hydrometer

4. When was the last fish added to this aquarium?

3 days ago (fish in question)

5. Was it quarantined? If so, how? And how long? Was it prophylactically treated? How?

no and no

6. If you are using a copper based medication, which one? How often do you measure level? When?

n/a

7. If you are using hyposalinity, how did you calibrate your refractometer?

n/a

8. Please describe in detail, the appearance of the fish? If there is one or more pimples, are they lumpy? What color?

looks like a hole, im attaching a picture

9. Please describe the behavior of the fish as best you can. Is it acting reclusive? Is it always up towards the top of the aquarium? Is it avoiding light? How active is the fish?

the fish is a bit reclusive but its expected. she hides when i move near the tank but does come out for food

10. Is the fish eating? What?

she is hungry, i fed her tiny fish meat the day before yesterday. i gave her flakes today, she came out but didnt like them much. will give her more fish today

im cycling this tank so no other fish in it. unfortunately i did not get a good look at this fish when i added to tank, she may have been injured already. she is almost full grown as well

dPCxSKt

Are you cycling the tank with the fish? Have you added any ammonia block as to not torment this fish? Any amount of ammonia will cause lesions. Pictures did not come through.

no ammonia block added. i used live rock from someone else's tank, but still waited the 8 weeks because i didn't know him that well. my ammonia reading has never been over .25 ppm. i've added food into the tank prior to adding fish to see if the level would jump but it never did. nitrite is 0 and nitrate is under 5 ppm

ANY amount of ammonia (above 0) is deadly to a fish. Get some ammonia block in their immediately and slow down on feeding til you get that ammonia under control. Ammonia basically eats away at their epithelial tissue (skin, gills etc). I'm still unable to see the pictures.

Ok I see the pic now. Had to use a different computer. It could be a bacterial infection (secondary to ammonia poisoning) or uronemia. You can look at the stickies on the later. If it’s bacterial pristine water quality and nutritious feedings will go a long way.

Unfortunately, she didn't make it. We added ammo blocker late yesterday afternoon, cleaned up the tank to make sure there was no excess food, but wasn't enough. Told my mom about it, she was with me when I picked her up, and she said she thought that one was a bit slow at the pet shop.

I'm going to treat the tank and wait a week before reintroducing additional fish from a different source.

What are you treating it with/or for? Be sure the tank is fully cycled, meaning 0 ammonia. If it's not nothing will live in it for long. Go to the New to the Hobby forum for more info on cycling a new tank.

i'm going to treat with SC paraguard, but i'm also going to set up a qt, something i should have done in the first place.

thanks for the tips, hopefully tighter care and observation will eliminate future issues like this one.

I ended up not treating the tank. I ran into a hobbyist at the store where I bought that fish and he told me every fish he ever bought there died because all the tanks are connected and the shop runs copper. He referred me to another shop and all my fish have been doing really great since.

I did set up a qt tank for future arrivals, hopefully no more issues.

m7c1n5.jpg

Back